New Tenor Fanfare Trumpet

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by JDH, Jun 16, 2014.

1. JDH

JDH Member

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now in stock is the new Wessex Tenor Fanfare Trumpets - at last making this type of instrument affordable to other than professional military bands. Maybe your band would like to start Fanfare team (usually 4 melody fanfare trumpets and 2 tenor fanfare trumpets)? - Could be nice earner playing for weddings and other prestigious events![/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif]The tenor fanfare trumpet takes small shank trombone mouthpiece and is pitched like euphonium/baritone, while the melody fanfare trumpet uses normal trumpet mouthpiece and is pitched like cornet.[/FONT]

http://www.wessex-tubas.co.uk/product/tenor-fanfare-trumpet/

[​IMG]

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not strictly true; technically should be 1 soprano Eb, 3 or 4 "melody" Bb, 2 tenor Bb + one Bass (G).

When will the Eb sop and bass trumpets be available?

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'll correct myself, with some reservation. Smith-Watkin produce a bass fanfare trumpet in Bb with an 'F' rotary attachment, which they claim "renders the 'G' bass obsolete".

And not all fanfare teams use the soprano; but the Bass is essential.

4. JDH

JDH Member

We have no plans for soprano in Eb, but plan to add bass at some stage

5. tromboneyone

tromboneyone Member

That just echos the trombone development and I suppose will be more familar to modern bass trombonists who are most likely to be playing the bass trumpet in the fanfare teams.

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Part of what made the G bass trombone replaceable by the modern Bb/F was a simultaneous increase in bore size - the notes that are on the valve on the Bb/F instrument but on the straight slide on the G (low Eb, D, and Db) just aren't as nice to play on the Bb/F. The increase in bore size compensated for that, to some extent.

However, fanfare trumpets are of pretty titchy bore size by modern standards, so I'd expect these notes to be notably stuffy - rather like when using a 4V baritone. But then, fanfare trumpets have plenty of bends in the tube anyhow, so maybe the effect is not severe. Anyone ever have a chance to compare the SW Bb/F with the traditional G?