New spoof ebay emails

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by andywooler, May 27, 2006.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Knowing that a lot of tMpers use ebay, here's some potential new spoofs which turned up in my mailbox today:

1) A bogus question from a purchaser - I know it's bogus because I haven't had a sale item on there in months! (the url's are not genuine either). This is a scam I haven't seen before. edit: confirmed by ebay as bogus.

2) A questionable invoice from eBay - I am querying this one so it may be genuine but considering once again that I haven't been selling in months, this may be bogus too. This invoice was from ebay.de - I am registered user with ebay.co.uk.

Be careful!

These guys are getting cleverer by the minute!

2. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

thanks for the heads up! just another tip! use paypal, its safer than most other forms of payment!

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Paypal = eBay = Paypal... they are the same company Andrew.

@Andy: I have recieved a few of these phishing emails too. They are cleverly worded and made to look as though they originate from eBay. Thanks for posting this info - everybody, please heed this advice and take every precaution possible when purchasing goods online. It is safe to do so, but be watchful and don't fall for the scams of these criminals.

4. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

are they??i thought they were just partnered...you learn summin new everyday!

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One of the lhe latest Paypal spoofs purports to concern the refund of charges paid in error. As usual with these tricks, you are then asked to confirm your details, but if you do you simply supply the fraudster with everything that they need :mad:

6. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

well thats just poo! We must all be on our guards! Always check the URL of the website you are paying into! evil fruadsters!

7. Seaweed

Seaweed Member

hi,
    i received an email from ebay saying that i needed to send the product, the payment had been paid. I never use ebay, i knew i hadn't registered or sold anything so i knew i was ok to delete it. Be care full!

Also the pictures and logo's weren't on the email, just an empty box with the X in the corner.

8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I had the German ones (.de) but as they were in German I couldn't read them ;) and I just forwarded them as attachments to this useful address spoof@ebay.co.uk.

Same goes for paypal scams. Forward them to spoof@paypal.com. They usually reply within 24 hours - though they are probably busy at the moment with the high season coming on!

Verbum sapientis: If you are not expecting it and if you have the least, tiniest little doubt about it, never open an email. Even if it purports to be from a friend. Contact them some other way first, especially if it has an attachment. If it is genuine they will probably say "did you enjoy...?" or if not, you can ask.

Also, disable any preview pane in your mail client - at least on the inbox. This will prevent automatic scripts from running.

9. I found this one in my bulk mail today. Was going to delete it but had a better idea. In the knowledge that someone probably had to physically read through them I just filled out each box (requesting user id, password, credit card details, bank details and pin number) with a load of insults instead!

Completely pointless I know, but lots of fun!!!

PS - A genuine e-mail from ebay always has your user id in the title.