New Solo Ideas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ickle_fiona_cornet_face, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Hi!

My conductor has asked me to start looking at fast cornet solos for band, however I have absolutely no idea what pieces are good or not.

Anyone got anything they recommend?

Thank you!
  2. smaca

smaca Active Member

Glorious Ventures(Peter Graham)
    Carnival of Vencie(Simon Kerwin arrangement)
  3. smaca

smaca Active Member

"Vencie" of course being the Scottish version of Venice!(sorry):oops:
  4. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Whirlwind (Peter Graham )
  5. eanto

eanto Member

Our principal's been playing Hailstorm at recent concerts. It went down a 'storm' :redface: at St James' a couple of weeks ago. Very technical and fast, and that's just the accompaniment!!
  6. Ah fantastic! Thanks guys!
  7. Keep the ideas coming though!
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

William Himes' "Jubilance", which will challenge the band as well as the soloist ;)
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Try Bill Relton's Trumpetistics on sale here. Stephen Thornton used to play this brilliantly years ago with the Versatile Brass.
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Was it an original brass piece you were looking for or just any solo?

Pennine music have an arrangement for band and solo cornet of the Rondo from Weber's clarinet concerto no.1 I did for a friend. That's pretty fast and showy.

The band version's not been recorded, but the original turns up on classic FM and radio 3 a fair bit in case you'd like to hear it.
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

By "fast" are you thinking something that's quick all the way through or a piece that's techincal?

You could always try Phillip Sparke's excellent Song and Dance which is pretty quick, but also starts slowly so you can show off your lyrical side too!

Or maybe Buster Strikes Back?

Or just trawl the tried and trusted stuff - Napoli, La Belle Americaine, The Nightingale - there are loads and loads.
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Good call. Always a winner. :clap:
  13. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Grap a trumpet and play Virtuosity!
    Nice top F (Space above 3rd ledger above Treble Clef) finish at the end!
  14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Rather than a specific piece, can I suggest that you get hold of some solo CDs and see if any of them appeal to you?

Everyone here is going to have their favourites, either from a player's point of view or an audience one - if you start listening to solos you can then start to work out which ones you might want to play.

For me, you can't go far wrong with getting all of the Soloist's Companion books and getting to know the classics that are withinn those pages.
  15. David Mann

David Mann Member

Especially "Carnaval" by Wynton Marsalis - sheer class!
  16. sheilawinter

sheilawinter Member

Sounds of the Hudson by
    Herbert Clarke
    is excellent
  17. sale

sale Member

TICO TICO! of course
  18. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Charivari! It's fast, then it's slow and it's very "latin-american" and fab to play. Audiences love it.