New Solo for Soprano or any other E flat Instrument

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Fendall, Mar 5, 2006.

1. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

Just had a listen and look through the piece and i can safely say that i think its really really good.
    I think its more suited to the Soprano than Eb Bass or Horn, but hey im a sop player, what do i know!

There isnt enough repertoire for Sop (or Horn) and i think this is a great piece to add along with the usual pieces.

2. Fendall

Fendall Member

Thanks for those kind words - my aim is obviously for as many people as possible to enjoy playing it and enjoy listening to it.

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well, I agree. It's really good. Shame I won't live long enough to be good enough to play it. (Assuming I do live to 150!) ;)
    Well done.

4. Moy

Moy Active Member

Hi Fendall
    Thanks for the solo. Love it and have started work on it as I am on holiday.
    Pleased to hear that you are coming to Scotland later this year.
    May come and meet up after the concert.
    Thanks again.

5. Fendall

Fendall Member

Hi again,

just letting you all know, the solo had it's World Premiere last Sunday at the Auckland Disctrict solos (unless anyone else can lay claim to having performed it publically already). It was the Open Championship division, and the event had all instruments. Riki MacDonnell has dominated this event the last 10 years, it was the first time I have played since coming 2nd to Riki in this event in 1996. Riki however is in the UK with Brisbane Exelsior at present.

I played the solo okay, but not brilliantly, with many mistakes (in my opinion) but it was greeted enthusiastically by the listeners. The judge was Mason Elliott, currently Champion of Champions both in NZ and Australia.

Anyway, I came close to winning with 95 points, but was pipped by Andrew Large (Dalewool principal cornet) by 1 point, with current NZ Eupho champion Andrew Leech in 3rd on 93 points.

From a soprano players perspective, I thought the solo itself acquitted itself well, as we all know how hard it is to find soprano solos that can compete against other instruments. I actually believe the popularity of the solo compensated for my 'slip-ups'.

I was also trialling a Yamaha Xeno, and it was great, just as good as the E flat trumpet I normally play - great sound and tuning (see my review under that thread) I had the instrument for 3 days prior to the contest, so quite frankly, I was surprised to have finished so well.

Thanks for the feedback I've received directly from many of you, hopefully another new work will be on the horizon soon.

6. BA Baritone

BA Baritone Member

My girlfriend is looking for a Sop solo so I will e-mail you directly. From the response it sounds like she will enjoy it.

7. SopplayerRob

SopplayerRob New Member

After emailing fendall I am really lookig forward to recieving the music of this piece:D

8. SopplayerRob

SopplayerRob New Member

The solo is great
    well done fendall :clap: good composing!

9. Fendall

Fendall Member

So, did you give it a go?

10. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Hi, any chance you can mail a copy to cheers!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006