New software ...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, Apr 24, 2008.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Wrong/split note in your recording session? No need for retakes any more; have a look at this:

Takes a bit of patience to get all the way through, but the implications are huge, I think.

Will KMJ be buying into this, do we think ... ?
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Sh*t the bed.

Unbelievable software. I can see hours of digging through my own recordings titivating!!
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Someone call? ;)

It'll be on the evaluation list, but I wouldn't hold your breath just yet.

It's always be better to get the recording right in the first place.
  4. KMJ Recordings

What a fantastic phrase :biggrin:
  5. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Amazing Software!
  6. winterman

winterman Member

Flippin' 'eck! That's about all I can say to that!

What a great product! Particulary love the bit from ~11mins in with the old Chet Baker trumpet wizardry :D

Maybe the mainstream music industry could start turning out some decent chart stuff now!! :D

Well worth a watch!
  7. KMJ Recordings

Why would this make a difference?

You could, for instance, take the view that if you can't perform it, why record it?

Does this mean that the idea and expectation that's thrown at me by a fairly high proportion of lower section Bands I work with - which can be paraphrased as "we realise that we aren't Dyke / Cory / Fodens / A. N. Other, but we just want the best possible recording that's representative of us" - will change such that they want everything to be 'perfect' and manufactured?

Is that true to yourselves and to your audience and buying public?

[OK, you can say that since the advent of Autotune - of which this is a variant - record labels have been releasing vocalists that are perhaps tone deaf....and, btw, that process isn't transparent so there's no reason to believe that this one will be either]

Corrections of the occasional blip maybe (or things that you may have missed on the session or have run out of time for), but wholesale correction of badly performed material probably isn't for me.

I could be wrong, though, but I'll wait until I've tried it for myself before getting overenthusiastic :wink:
  8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Great package (beurgh) but this kind of thing has been around quite a while, just maybe not to as much of an extent.
    I rememeber around 10ish years ago, I was in Ireland and there was a Concert of Kyle 'live' in Japan on Christmas Eve on one of the RTE channels. And, all credit to her, she has a great ass, but singing-wise she couldn't have got anywhere near baa baa blacksheep, she was a mess.
    Then magically enough, back in England on new years eve... same concert broadcasted by the beeb, bang in tune. Good old BBC.
  9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

An earlier version of this concept was often used, long before computers and fancy software. When recording an unpublished piece and a wrong note was detected, if it fit the chord structure, they would simply change the manuscript and....voila....a perfect recording :)
  10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

And yet another reason why, in the future, as now, appeals will not be entertained based on the content of a recording of a band's performance at a contest.:wink:
  11. KMJ Recordings

The difference is in that the earlier incarnations could only treat a mono file. The new version of Melodyne can supposedly isolate a line from a polyphonic track and treat that.
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

In some respects I share your scepticism. The demonstration on the video clip is quite convincing, however the examples chosen are fairly simple musically. I would not be confident that the software could cope with something as complex as a full brass band.
  13. KMJ Recordings

The fact that it works at all is a testament to the skills of the programmers - it's long been thought that isolation of single lines out of a multiinstrument recording was tantamount to science fiction.

Real world application to complex mixtures of instruments (as opposed to say one note out of a strummed chord where everything surrounding the thing to be corrected is similar in timbre) will have to be proven to me, as will the idea of transparency. Artefacts from something as 'simple' as speeding up a complex mix are painfully obvious once you get over a certain amount of change. For something as complex as this to be useable for such things as 'correcting' a stereo mix of a brass band it'd have to be ultratransparent, otherwise it'd have to form part of a mix where colouration is either required or immaterial or used as a creative effect.

Edit: Bear in mind the audio on the clip will be of fairly low bandwidth and compressed, so you probably wouldn't spot many artefacts in it, plus if you're demoing something you choose something you know it can do ;)
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  14. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

Ive been using Melodyne for years in one form or another, and it is a stunning piece of software. I can't wait to try this new version for its ability to pick out notes in chords.... however, I'm with KMJ that its best to get the recording right in the first place. Melodyne is great for correcting intonation, and being creative (making totally new tracks from others), even alter a wrong note here and there, but to fix a split would be tricky as the note will still have the hallmarks of a split even when 'fixed', its just that it will be split on the correct note.. if that makes sense.

I doubt I'd ever user Melodyne if recording a large ensemble - its much more useful for multi-track recording .... but ... its going to be fun experimenting anyway!
  15. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Not being much of an audio editor but do play around with midi, could this be a stage further in the quest for creating midi from audio? The basic programs around now can work in a simple fashion for one note at a time simple melodies, but with this sort of technology, separation of notes now being possible, could be the next stage to transforming it to midi?
  16. KMJ Recordings

It's a start in that direction, yes, but IMO there's a lot of water to go under the bridge before it'd be useful.
  17. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

It does seem incredible, but I'm assuming it picks notes out by frequency (can't think how else) so its use with brass bands could be limited. For example, I can't see how it can separate two cornets playing the same note (if one needed to be treated). Happy to be convinced otherwise!!

Could have used this ten years ago!
  18. KMJ Recordings

Nah - your output as a producer was good enough as it was ;)