New Senior football record!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Cornishwomble, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Today AFC Wimbledon drew 1-1 and broke the British senior football record by going 76 games unbeaten in the league!

OK it's not the premiership and we aint Arsenal but it's still a great achievement. Apparently it's 106 for the European record :D

Are you watching MK Mongs??

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    AFC Wimbledon
    :D
    British
    Arsenal
    MK Mongs
  3. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Bravo AFC Wimbledon.

Keep that up and you'll be in the Conference in no time! :D

Hope they beat the European record. :p

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Go on Wimbledon!!!...an amazing achievement in whichever division it's done!! Lets hope they keep going!!!! :D

(p.s. I don't think I've seen anything funnier than your reaction to the MK Mongs last ten years history in the Huddersfield match program...I didn't think it was possible to swear that much in a ten word sentence!!) LOL LOL LOL

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

that's awesome! here's to passing MK on the way up in 5 years!

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Excellent, and even as an Arsenal supporter, I say this achievement outstrips that. The 'blood and thunder' of the lower ;eagues can be a daunting prospect, I'm sure, and sometimes a great 'leveller', making, in my view, AFC Wimbledon's achievement even more remarkable.

Let's hope they follow the 'former' Wimbledon (Dickie Guy et al) in their meteoric rise up the leagues as the Wimbledon of old were a fantastic achievement for the smaller clubs. It can be done. I recall an FA Cup tie a few years back where Woking were drawn against Coventry. Coventry eventually progressed after a replay, but Woking passed the ball on the deck to a level that at times embarrassed the then Premiership based Coventry. Gary McAllister (then of Coventry) was bemused by this and openly questioned that if a non league team can raise their game that much, why don't they do it week in, week out and get out of the lower leagues.

7. Cornishwomble

77 games unbeaten now!

8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

How about we adopt AFC Wimbledon as the official tMP footie team to support?? (after all might as well support a team that aint lost for 77 games! :p Bit of glory supporting)

Anywhere we can have a look at the league table Roy?? (Which league are you in anyway??)

9. Cornishwomble

10. 2nd man down

11. Cornishwomble

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    AFC Wimbledon
    :D
    British
    Arsenal
    MK Mongs
  13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Any team sponsored by the almighty Sports Interactive gets my vote! I think the current AFC Wimbledon vs Franchise FC situation really serves as a warning to other clubs who take their fans for granted. Are you watching Mr. Shepherd?

14. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I am very impressed!

I admit to have been a Wimbledon fan in the past - I never agreed to the team moving away in the first place. We don't hear anything about AFC Wimbledon up here in Scotland!!

Keep it going!

15. 2nd man down

Could we have found tMP's most northerly AFC Wimbledon supporter?!?

Any supporters of AFC Wimbledon nearer to the North Pole than Dunfermline??

16. Cornishwomble

Don't know about Scottish fans but here is the site of our Norwegian fansite, which is almost the same thing isn't it? Ducks down ;)

http://www.norsedons.com/

17. Cornishwomble

Well the record had to end at some point! :(

Cray Wanderers 2 AFC Wimbledon 0

Match report http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/livematch.php?fixture_id=2922

League Table http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/league.php?Psection_id=5&Psub_section_id=12&squad=

Still 78 games is a remarkable run and whilst we're disappointed, we're also proud of the way our boys did it.

Thank you to all those who sent pms interested in the run and sorry we couldn't get that European record!

Any 442 readers will see the team mentioned right at the start in "That 442 moment"

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just have to hope they don't have a wobble like Arsenal did after their run ended ;)

19. Cornishwomble

AFC Wimbledon 4 Molesey 0

Nah don't think so, only 78 games to go to get the record again!

20. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Glad you are back to winning ways, remember 78 games unbeaten is a fantastic achievment, and will take a lot of beating by anybodys standards.

Well done and keep up the good work!!