New Seller/instruments on Ebay... Cranes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ABERDEEN LOON, Oct 16, 2006.

Noticed another make of budget instrument yesterday. Seems that they are completely made in the UK.

Any opinions? Guess that they might not quite be Maestro/Sovereign or
    presteige, but for a band that is training players could be worth is if they are a well made/blowable/in tune instrument.

Seems too good to be true....
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I own a Cranes piano (have done for years) and that is excellent. Can't speak for any of their other instruments though.
  3. winterman

winterman Member

Haven't tried the intruments, but I have ordered a few other bits from them on eBay and if their level of customer service and quality of products stocked is anything to go by then they may be worth a look.

Could be perfect for training/beginners banding.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wonder if they have taken the same route as Virtuosi instruments ... made in China and approved by buyers before importing?

that is what I was wondering, but I cannot find anything other than made in their factory. NOt sure if that means made from scratch or assembled!?

might just buy one and let you all know what it is like. (if the boss at home lets me;) )
  6. winterman

winterman Member

In amongst the blurb on one of the euphonium pages they state this:

I think this would imply that they are a rebranded item. However they do also state that they deal directly with their factory (maybe factory of choice)..

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I guess their factory could be anywhere in the World. Judging from the prices its probably somewhere in the Far East. Nothing wrong with that of course, if the reports I've heard about Virtuosi instruments are anything to go buy. However I would've guessed if they were made in Europe or America - and especially if they are made in the UK - they would advertise that fact quite freely.

I would be interested to hear what one plays like - looking at the photos (I know, they don't really prove anything) the build quality looks good.
  8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Okay, had kept out of this one up until now as the experience I had of Cranes instruments was around 3 years ago and they could have improved BUT

a student of mine "hired" a Cranes cornet for his brass lessons and proudly bought the intsrument into school for his first lesson. imagine how mean I felt when I had to send him home with a note for Mum explaining that the instrument was not at all good enough for what he needed. The octaves weren't (even when I tried it so it wasn't him), the valves were very badly made and when we oiled them the valve guide actually broke and the laquer was lifting already (it was supposed to be new). Mum had paid quite a handsome fee to hire this for a term on a hire/buy type scheme but thankfully she sent it right back and hired a blessing from our music service workshop.

As i said, they may well have improved but I am personally not going to bother finding out.
  9. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Thought I'd bring this to the fore again.

Cranes are still advertising on e-bay.
    Has anyone had anymore experience of their brass instruments?
  10. sop 1

sop 1 Member

i used to work for them (many moons ago!) and their instruments are of a beginners standard (and not as good as most on the market) ,i would go for the virtuosi!
  11. sop 1

sop 1 Member

just been on their website and the cranes elite cornet is selling at £149 wot does that tell you?
  12. RobBari

RobBari Member

Cranes advertise a 4valve 'compensating' Euph as the Elite range. It is however a non-compensating instrument. ( I've checked this out at Cranes in Cardiff) This makes the Virtuosi non comp Euph cheaper by £100 i think?
  13. a very flat b

a very flat b Member