New resident conductor for the City of Cambridge Brass Band

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Bryan_sop, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The City of Cambridge Brass Band is pleased to announce the appointment of Duncan Wilson as its Resident Conductor, to work in conjunction with the Band's Musical Director, Peter Bassano.

Duncan Wilson started playing with local brass bands in East Anglia and went on to study tenor trombone at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. After graduating, he embarked on a professional career, as a founder member of the Mahler Chamber Orchestra. Tired of living out of a suitcase and seeing lots of hotels and airports, Duncan settled down to work as a freelance player in the UK. He is regularly in demand as a tenor trombone player with most of the major symphony orchestras, including the London Symphony Orchestra, Philharmonia, London Philharmonic and City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. Duncan has also built up a reputation as an orchestral Euphonium and Bass Trumpet player. Commercial credits include recording with Sarah Brightman, Hayley Westenra and Ravi Shankar.

Keeping his connections with brass bands, Duncan conducted Somersham Town Band for four years and Soham Comrades Band for a year before work commitments took over. A very enjoyable spell as Solo Trombone with the GUS Band was, too, cut short by professional commitments. He has also conducted the City of London Sinfonia, the Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra Brass, Pocket Opera Nuremburg, the Guildhall Symphony Orchestra, Stamford Brass and the Rubicon Ensemble.

Duncan said "I am very much looking forward to becoming the Resident Conductor of the City of Cambridge Band and working alongside Peter Bassano."

The City of Cambridge Brass Band, which recently achieved a very creditable sixth place out of twenty four bands in the first section of the Butlins National Mineworkers Brass Band Festival, is delighted to have the opportunity of working with musicians of the calibre of Peter Bassano and Duncan Wilson. In addition to working towards the London & Southern Counties area finals of the National Brass Band Championships, the band is also looking forward to an exciting programme of engagements during 2008 commencing with the first of its church tour engagements in Barrington Church on 26 April.

Further information about the band is available at Further information on Peter Bassano is available at
  2. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

...sounds like good times ahead for Cambridge - Congratulations!
  3. rachelbaritone

rachelbaritone New Member

That's my little brother, that is!! Congratulations Dunc. :clap: See you at Stevenage. Hope you're feeling better by then. Rach xx
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Thankyou all. I didn't realise Bryan had put this on here until today. He asked if you were actually my sister, or just some crazed stalker......

Seriously, thanks to Cambridge band who seem to think I've got something useful to say. I hope we can do some damage to Stevenage. I suppose I'm in an enviable position - if you guys win, I'll accept as much credit as possible, and if you guys don't, I'll let Peter carry the can:biggrin:
  5. rachelbaritone

rachelbaritone New Member

Hmmm, some crazed stalker. I like the concept ..... xx