New pub opening times.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tam-tam2, Nov 19, 2005.

1. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Ok, I have just returned from one of my local pubs. The bar staff all had t-shirts saying that as of next week they will be open until 2am on Friday and Saturday!! Now this could seriously alter my drinking plans...especially after band on Fridays. How do you all think the changes in drinking times and laws coming into place will affect you, your local pubs and you locality in general. Is it a good or bad thing? Will there be any consequences? Will Pontins bar be open 24 hours next year?!:biggrin: :confused:

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That could be quite dangerous :sup

3. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

dangerous... but fun :biggrin: :biggrin:

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Yea!!! :D

5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

only dangerous on the wallet..
    pontins is normally a 48hour session isnt it?
    (apart from when im playing and its only 36)

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Tell me about it!! £3.50 for Vodka and Red Bull? I could practically buy a whole bottle for that!

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

and I thought it was just the wallet gnomes that took my money???

8. Steve

Steve Active Member

I believe supermarkets are now able to serve 24hrs too which means even if your local isnt open through the night, the drinking could never stop. :rolleyes: :D

9. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

The pubs up this way already have some fairly crazy opening times - woo hoo!!! :D

10. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I know I had at least 8 of them! t'was an expensive night!
    Point is, I won't be able to drink all night anyway, no matter how much Red Bull I have... I usually end up doing stupid things like gathering traffic cones and writing rude words with them at 3:30 in the morning!

I reacon that for the first few months it will be popular, but the novilty will wear off. We've always had lock ins anyway, so its no different to me.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    pub
    one
    bar
    thing
    pubs
  12. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Got quite a few pubs here in exmouth, late license seems to be kicking in all over the place. I'm liking the idea, hopefully will mean people will stagger when they go on to the clubs so i dont have to queue in the cold!

Also means i can stay in the pubs with the good drinks promotions for longer......or till im totally "*****d" so i wont have to buy expensive drinks when in the club. Getting drunk on £5 is the best way forward!!

Typical that this all kicks in when im on teaching practice tho...... :( Bring on next friday night, and saturday night, and sunday night!! Got some making up to do! :)

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Something hinted earlier on this thread ... prices!! Are the pubs allowed to increase the cost of drinks to pay for staff and security? The idea of late closing is good for shift workers I suppose, but when I see most pubs virtually empty during the week, I wonder if it just going to be a weekend fad? That and the 'clean air' regulations, it will be quite novel to see punters' reaction during the first six months.

14. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

On a serious note, I am glad that the licensing laws introduced in 1916 under pressure from the Temperance movement have finally been scrapped. As for the scaremongerers, they were out in force when the all day drinking license was introduced - and did it create all the problems they said it would?, no, of course not. It is nice to know that whatever time it is, if I want to go and have a quiet drink with friends, or a loud drink with enemies, there will be a pub/club somewhere who are serving. I also know that if I go shopping to a 24 hour supermarket early or late, I can buy that bottle of wine for the tMP dinner party..........what was that?..............sorry, crate of wine.

15. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I don't think it would make a difference to me - there were always late bars avaliable if you wanted to stay around later. I can't see our local pubs staying open later than perhaps 12/1 on the friday and saturday anyway (plus by that time I am either asleep or already very drunk!)

16. sugarandspice

How are people getting on with the late licenses? Rolled home at 5am on Sat night, and 4am this morning...................it's not good!

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- were there many taking advantage of the new times? :confused:

18. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

This week's "Time" magazine (US edition) has an article about the new British licensing hours. It states that the 11:30pm closing time was imposed during WWI to ensure that munitions workers could function by breakfast the next day.

Disturbing information in the piece includes:
    1. While Continental counterparts' consumption is falling, the Brits are drinking more than ever (9.6L of pure alchohol per person last year, which is 42% more than the amount consumed per American).
    2. Binge drinking leaves a trail of social debris -- crime, fatal accidents, unsafe sex, date rapes, even an uptick in liver disease among those in their 20s.
    3. Croydon (where some of the research took place) is a grim suburb south of London. [I don't remember Croydon quite like this. Has it changed over the years?]

19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I just like the fact that there's no big rush at 11 any more, which is better from both sides of the bar. As far as I can tell, very few are staying all the way till closing time anyway.

20. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Yes it has. Croydon was where some of the major rioting took place after England's exit from the last major football competition (was it the Euro's?!). This would never have happened 5/10 years ago.

Croydon is one big pedestrianised shopping centre by day and grim hell-hole by night. I live only a mile or so from the town centre and I don't even go shopping there let alone drinking.

It's interesting though that in the Borough of Croydon only two establishments applied for a 24-hour licence and they were Tesco stores! Across Croydon, 80 per cent of establishments did not apply to extend their licence, with most of those that did requesting just an additional hour at the weekend. So, perhaps this is an example of landlords and club owners being responsible and realising that Croydon is a place where 24-hour licensing is not a good thing.

21. sugarandspice

Yeah there are quite a few people out later, only trouble is the food places still close at 2, so people still head off in need of cheesy chips before they close! Found a pizza place still open on Wednesday, full of people! Very random conversation with a man who claimed to "fiddle" with a bugle- Kelly's reply " but you can't fiddle with a bugle as it has no valves!" :)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    pub
    one
    bar
    thing
    pubs