NEW PRINCIPAL @ FAIREYS

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnflugel, Nov 3, 2003.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Ha, you thought this was the big annoucement didn't you(?). Just wanted to start the 'vicious' rumour mill going on this saught-after chair! I have no idea but thought I would throw some names into the ring:

Matt Baker - ex Dyke now Travelsphere - a return to top TOP flight banding for him
    Mike Eccles - notice YBS want a new 2nd man (as well as many more soon if you believe what you hear :lol: ), has he left? or moved down? is this the next step up for him?
    Phillip Cobb - highly unlikely but worth mentioning anyway!
    David Dawes - As Phillip Cobb!
    Graeme McCulloch - Is he still alive?!

Will it be a controversial transfer from another big boy? a young unknown star? or a david pleat/graham taylor like old-head return for Brian Taylor?

Just wondered :D

2. Tubby the Tuba

Tubby the Tuba New Member

Graeme McCulloch

Graeme is still very much alive, he was sitting in playing with our band (beside his dad) at rehearsal last Monday, back home on holiday for a few days.

He is playing Trumpet on a Carribean Cruise Liner full time so don't think he will be in the frame.[/quote]

3. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Glad to hear he is still alive and kicking :lol:

I just wondered what he was doing now, as I was listening to a recording of B&R winning the Nationals on 'Between the moon.....' the other day, he was/is a terrific player.

John
    Rothwell Temps

4. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

What about Lee Rigg, Fairey's second man? Isn't it about time he got a chance to prove just how good a player he is by finally sitting on the top chair permanently.
    Got a few recordings of him playing principle and he is an excellent player.

Just another name to throw into the hat! :D

5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Mike Eccles is playing 2nd man at Hepworth, or so I'm led to believe?

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

That clears my thoughts up about Mike Eccles up then!

Anyone got any ideas?

7. Heppy

Heppy Member

To confirm, Mr. Eccles has joined Hepworth on 2nd man. Thank god he is better at playing the cornet than he is at dancing. Pontins was cringe worthy!

Smed

Hepworth Band

8. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I think we all know how good lee is (well I do!), and he's a really nice guy too, used his room to get me a drink at the copthorne in birmingham a few years ago, went to far too much trouble, really nice guy!

9. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

what about leon dont know his last name he was playing top man for layland not so long ago, could it be him?

10. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Hasnt he just gone back to the imps??

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    @ FAIREYS Ha
    Mike Eccles
    Graeme McCulloch
    Dyke
    YBS
  12. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

dont know posably? just noticed one day on there web page he wasnt there.

13. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Yep, Leon Renilsen's back at Imps.

Sud.

14. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

In the manner of Tory politicians, I'd just like to officially declare that I shalln't be making myself available for appointment to this position.

I have nothing further to add, except that I'm looking forward to spending more time with my family.

D

15. Moy

Moy Active Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting........well

16. Wintruder

Wintruder New Member

Sud - Interesting to see Leon back at the Imps. More interesting - what's happened to your amazing horn section???

17. Steve

Steve Active Member

Got to be Matt Baker in my eyes. He is having a little break from playing cos hes had a baby but was due back at Travelsphere in the new year. I think the pull of the double national champs could sway him, the only issues being the travel, the new family member and the fact Travelsphere are a really good bunch. Since joining T'sphere he has been playing on a £300 kiddy model cornet with no triggers, kinda proves its not the instrument you play after all cos he always sounds damn good!!! Phenomenal player, great soloist and great section leader!!!

18. Steve

Steve Active Member

A return to playing for Phillip McCann?!?!?!?!? Could be interresting.

19. jamie the euph

jamie the euph New Member

i dont have a clue who could be appointed nut i have noticed faireys advertising for a few players and im wondering if its time they allowed girls to join there band and show other bands that aree all male that it is time to get out of the dark ages and its probably the best and only way they can improve there band because they wouldnt hav to advertise in the bandsman or the net which is really unheard of for that calibre band!wat does everyone else think?i know it's along up held tradition but dyke broke away from it and i personaly think that it is time that the other bands do the same!

20. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I agree it is time to move away from that tradition.
    I believe B&R, when they were looking for a new Sop player were going to appoint the Sop who now plays for Sellers (at least i think it is Sellers!). But they couldn't because she was a girl...

all wrong if you ask me.

Back on topic though...Philip McCann aint what he used to be. Yes he is still a damn good player...but Faireys can find someone better. They need to go for someone youthful but with a bit of experience...e.g Matt Baker, or in my opinion it should be Lee Rigg.

21. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

the all male thing doesn't seem to be holding them back too much... but it really is time brass bands were equal oppurtunities employers!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    @ FAIREYS Ha
    Mike Eccles
    Graeme McCulloch
    Dyke
    YBS