New Principal Cornet at YBS

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Y B S Band, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Y B S Band

Y B S Band Member

Iain Culross to play principal cornet with YBS

The YBS band is pleased to announce the signing of a new principal cornet player. Iain Culross, aged twenty joins YBS from the Sellers International Band.

Iain joined his local brass band Dundee Instrumental at the age of ten. He has played principal cornet with Clackmannan and District Brass, Bo`ness and Carriden, and Unison Kinneil bands. He moved to Manchester in September 2005 on the recommendation of his mentor David James and took up performance studies at Salford University with Professor David King. He is currently in his second year of a BA (HONS) Degree in Music.
    After a brief spell on principal cornet with the Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band (as a stand-in whilst Kirsty Abbotts was on maternity leave), he made the move to Sellers International Band on principal cornet in March 2006, where he enjoyed a very successful year on the end chair. This culminated with him winning the Shaw Trust Trophy for Best Principal Cornet Player at the Brass in Concert Championships, in November 2006.

Iain said: “I am delighted to accept the position of Principal Cornet with the YBS Band, following in the footsteps of some great cornet players. It will be a great privilege to work with the band as they enter a new era.”
  2. Moy

Moy Active Member

;)Well done to Iain and YBS
    I have heard Iain playing over the past few years up here in Stonehaven and have been very impressed. He is improving all the time.

I have been priviledged to hear some very fine cornet playing while at David & Rita James.
    Looking forward to maybe getting to listen some more next week if I play my cards right.;)

Think I am correct in saying that David James has taught 2 of the YBS top men. Both called Iain as well. :clap:

PPS I am sure YBS will go on and do well - go for it guys and gals.
  3. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Said it too him last night, i'll say it again now.
    Well Done Iain!
    Great move :) and very well deserved!
  4. JCampbell

JCampbell New Member

Well done Iain from all at Unison Kinneil Band
  5. MandyB

MandyB New Member

Congratulations Iain!!!!
    from everyone at Carlton Main Frickley!!

Don't forget who gave you that!!!!!!
  6. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Amidst all the congratulations for Iain....
    I would just like to commend YBS, for proving lots of people wrong and say well done on showing their is life after King, and that there NOT about to roll over and die... Well done YBS & Iain of course.
    Heres to the Areas!!!