New Principal Cornet at Grimethorpe

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ComeBlowMyHorn, Feb 10, 2009.

1. As stated on 4bars rest, may I be the first to congratulate Rob Westacott as the new Principal Cornet of the Grimethorpe Colliery Band.

The band are also extremely pleased to welcome Alan Hobbins as the new 2nd man down. This pairing is a fantastic addition to the band, and should add to a formidable team :D

The other vacancies should be confirmed within the next few days, which we are all extremely excited about.

Roll on th'Area!!

2. Moy

Moy Active Member

Yeh Arfon great signings - well done.
    Hope all the interest on the departures now focus on the new signings ;)
    More power to Grimey :)

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I met Rob for the first time while playing for Grimey at the weekend. Not only a lovely player but a nice bloke too. Best of luck with your other vacancies, I'm sure things will settle nicely in time for Bradford. Hope to see you there, if not before.

4. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

Played with both these lads at Faireys in the mid-90's and they are very fine players.

Congratulations to them both and to the band.

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations Rob and Alan,
    Good luck at your new band!

6. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Played with Rob at Imps....top class player and excellent section leader...a proper Principal Cornet.

They'll love him on the bus too...quality songster!!

Are you keeping the "impycornet" nick Rob?

7. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Rock On Grimey... Here's to the future! :metal:

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

As I said to you earlier Rob, well done on your appointment, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more. Looking forward to our cornet sectional on Sunday with Grimeys topman! :biggrin:

Two quality signings for Grimey, best of luck to the band and their new members.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations, Rob: I remember doing the review of "Imps in concert" some time back and commenting on the fine solo playing.

I'm sure we will be in for more of the same, and I for one will be looking forward to hearing you with your new band ;)

10. Frontman

Frontman Member

Congratulations to Rob and Alan. Here's to the future.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet
    Grimethorpe As
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band
    Rob Westacott
    Alan Hobbins
  12. eanto

eanto Member

Two great signings I think, and hopefully more to come for them. Feel a bit sorry for Hepworths' loss but hey, it is Grimethorpe at the end of the day! And here's me thinking the transfer window had just closed... would have done better with Robbie Keane. :)

13. markh

markh Member

What happened to Roger Webster then? ;-)

14. Tubah

Tubah Member

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I'd like to add my congratulations to Rob and Alan, great news gents, best of luck in your assault on the Area title!

16. FATNBALD

FATNBALD Member

Congratulations Rob, Cracking bloke and superb cornet player:clap:

17. Isn't it funny how this post isn't getting half as many views or replies as the other recent thread?!

18. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Congratulations to Rob. A great opportunity for a great bloke and a fantastic player.

I've heard Rob play many times for hepworth, and he's never failed to produce brilliance. He was once kind enough to play a weber clarinet concerto I'd arranged as a cornet solo, on a "Night at the classics" concert at huddersfield town hall. To coin a phrase, he knocked it right out of the park.

It was only afterward over a pint he mentioned he'd had very limited rehearsal time on it - though from the performance you would never have known. Positively sparkling.

Yes, it's maybe a bit harsh on Hepworth now having to find a new top man three weeks before the areas, but it's not like the opportunity to be top man at Grimethorpe comes up every day. Opportunity knocks but once.

Good luck in your new chair, Rob.

19. TP Euph

TP Euph Member

...probably better not to dangle the carrot then...so to speak ;)

Great news Rob, and for us too...we don't get many deps from Grimey!!

TP

20. critic

critic Member

its time to move on best of luck rob

21. David Mann

David Mann Member

It's a credit to Grimethorpe that "Grimethorpe, great band, sign great player" isn't that much of a shock, when a perceived wobble, unfortunately, is.
    Human nature.
    I repeat my best wishes for the band and may they continue to be musicla role models.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet
    Grimethorpe As
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band
    Rob Westacott
    Alan Hobbins