New Postal Rates - Thank you

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Aug 22, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

As of 21/08/2006 the Post Office has issued a new pricing structure for letters, large letters and packets. We send a lot of drawings out at work and having watched the news reports on Monday night I assumed our mail costs would be increasing.

Well thank you the Post Office we are now sending out mail up to £1.00 a time cheaper than last week.

Example large letter holding up to 500g of drawings now costs 85p (franking rate) last week the same mail up to 500g cost £1.85. Even if it's classed at the highest category rate i.e. a packet it only costs £1.60 (25p a unit cheaper)

The example that the TV report showed was a business claiming that they would now be spending an extra £1000 a month on mail - but they were an extreme example sending out light weight vacuum cleaner bags which where going out as packet mail rather than letter rate 94p as against 31p previously.

Has anyone else worked this out? I reckon we will be saving at least £50 a week on mail.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although there are bound to be teething problems at first, I think a lot of people will find the new system advantageous. It will probably take a while for people to realise that folding a document in half and putting it in an A5 envelope rather than A4 saves them money, but once the greetings cards business adjusts its sizes to match the new regulations I don't think it will be the disaster some people are forecasting.
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Oh yes forgot to mention that one - worked that out yesterday and you can put up to 19 separate 80g/m2 sheets of paper in that envelope and it now only costs 32p as against 49p last week.

So on the basis of our normal office mail we will be paying the Post Office less money, along with probably 95% of the other companies in the country - so the only people paying more will be those sending awkward sizes packets - it will be interesting to hear what effect this all has on the Post Office turn-over.

I think they've made a major mistake.
  4. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Its takes flippin ages longer in the post office though! I went in to collect a 'signed for' letter for my dad yesterday and I was waiting ages.... because now, not only do they have to weigh EVERYTHING they also have to push it through various slots on this little gizmo to see what size it is! I hate post offices! They are slow, hot and smell of old people! :tongue:
  5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Couldn't agree more!
    What really annoys me is when someone sends you a package without the correct postage, i had to pay the extra cost and a stupid holding price or something. And the stupid post office have lost cheques of mine in the post. Hmmm!
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That's bound to hold things up at first, but as time goes by more people are going to know what their package will cost if it's a regular mailing, so the queues should ease up.
  7. postie

postie Member

As I work in the Nottingham Mail Centre what you are describing and what Peter has described are both correct. Royal Mail are trying to attract work back from the likes of TNT and UK Mail. Have a look at your post every morning you will see that at least half of your letters have one of those companies logo's on. This is Royal Mail's first attempt at trying to get some of this work back by not only concentrating on weight but size too. At the end of the day Royal Mail only get paid 13p for delivering competitors mail. It might lose a bit of money to start with but may well attract quite a lot of work back.
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for confirming that information - I was a bit worried that I'd worked it out wrong and all our customers would be ringing up complaining about the surcharges. Just seems odd that the Post Office PR people didn't get this over on the TV reports - just the stuff about increased costs for lightweight but large packages - balanced reporting? I don't think so.
  9. postie

postie Member

I think the PR people at Royal Mail don't exist they really should try and put some of this information out into the public eye it certainly would benefit them.