New Old Tunes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Is it just me, or do test pieces always have bits of other tunes in them? Rehearsing Tallis for Wilkinsons we discovered bits of "Beetlejuice," Holst's "Jupiter," some of "Batman" and even "Three blind mice!"

Plus last night, on our first blow through Goff Richards' Voyage of discovery we discovered it has bits of "James Bond," "Stranger on the shore" and "Girls and Boys come out to play" in it!

Anyone else found anything of that nature?

Anglian Dances has a bit of God Save the Queen in it!
    Slaughter on 10th Avenue has 3 Blind Mice in it too.
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Neil Hefti's 'Batman' theme crops up everywhere! And once you've heard it, it doesn't go away.

Isn't 'Devil and the Deep Blue Sea' based loosely around Dana's song 'All Kinds of Everything'???

4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Played Daphnis the other week - Stan Kenton must have been inspired by that for the Artistry theme.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:clap: (created a chuckle)
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... And Serge Rachmaninov very cheekily stole one of the motifs in his "Symphonic Dances" from Edward Gregson's "Plantagenets" ... :wink:
  7. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

An American non-SA band thought Eric Ball's splendid "Song of Courage" was based on "Oh, what a beautiful morning."
  8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

not to mention the blatant rip off of the Pearl & Dean ad in Macarthur Park
  9. Thirteen Ball

Our former MD John Roberts once remarked that Wagner's overture from Rienzi sounded rather like the lumberjack song from monty python.

It was only when listening to it the other night when I realised how right he was!
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We heard Heinz advert in VoD "a million housewives every day, pick up a tin of beans and say..." it's in the trombone solo half way through.
  11. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Let not forget the cornet fanfare type few bars that sound very much like Halleluja!!

I've found the first few bars of 'While shepherds watched there flocks by night' in Anglian Dances as well as the glaringly obvious God save the queen that has already been mentioned.
  12. Thirteen Ball

I think I heard a bit of the triangle part from Goff's own "Golden Lady" in there as well!
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You're getting a bit silly now.

Everyone knows that Dvorak stole his slow movement for the New World Symphony from the Hovis advert, Verdi ripped off the Force of Destiny from those lovely people who did the Stella Artois and as for Gershwin, well, the list is endless.
  14. JR

JR Member

.."wears women's clothing and hangs around in bars"

cheers Andi

John r
  15. Thirteen Ball

Now John, I was young, I was foolish.... ;)

TIMBONE Active Member

There are essentially only twelve notes in western tonal music, so, after all this time, it is incredible that we still get original pieces. Composers like Stockhausen, Berg, Cage, Maxwell-Davies etc have tried to get away from tonality for this very reason, but I don't think it worked :confused:

It is quite normal for composers to be influenced by music that they love, even to the extent where they unknowingly write somethig which contains those other influences. In the popular music culture, there have even been court cases where person A said that person B had stolen their music.

I have to say though, that Andrew Lloyd-Webber takes the prize. Listen to "I don't know how to love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar, then listen to the 2nd movement of Mendelssohn's violin concerto.
  17. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Do you still like to press wild flowers though Andi?

18. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

Pieces of music been ripped off and place in to others how bizarre LOL I am sure it down to influences of different things. All sorts of tunes get stuck in our head it's not surprising that composers put bits of other tunes in to there own. Artist (painters) have been robbing each others ideas for years so why not in music at least it keeps us entertained when it comes to those long rehearsals in the run up to contests, even in modern pop music some songs have the same sort of melody line just different words. I am sure if we delved deeply in to the library’s of music the would be tonne’s of stuff that has part pinched from each other, it’s what makes music work I think I picture is as a big piece of playdoh is can be shaped in to what ever you like it to be but when your are doing it you are always going to put something in of your own and also something that has inspired you even if you don’t know that it has

Thats my ten pence for what is worth

Colin Doran BBb and general band monkey Old Hall Brass
  19. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Doesn't Tristan Encounters have Postman Pat in it?

Try singing the opening to Salute to Youth and listen to it turn into the opening of Trumpet Blues and Cantabile. (The same idea with Superman theme, it turns into Star Wars).
  20. Thirteen Ball

When did I ever do that? Maybe when I crashed my motorcycle and it landed in a hedge..... :oops:

As for the point about modern pop tunes sounding exactly the same. Does anyone remember Michelle McManus from Pop Idol? Her track 'all this time' has a musically identical chorus to her predecessor Will Young's 'Evergreen.' It's even in the same Key!!!! Only the words are changed!

But for me, Gilbert and Sullivan take the biscuit on that score. How much of their own work did they shamelessly plagiarise, re-write, play backwards etc Just because they'd run out of tunes?