New Music Website- advice wanted!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Redhorn, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Having previously had no idea at all about designing websites i've spent some time in the last few weeks building one!

Its gone 'live' today, just wondering if anyone has any advice/moans/constructive criticisms, etc,.... any spelling mistakes I may have missed.... Any hyperlinks that don't work (btw, I know the Bec.Brass Band one doesnt on Links menu- we're waiting for a new site!)

I have a lot of music ready to go onto the site, theres just a few examples at the moment- the bigger stuff is on the way!

I produced it on MS Publisher- anyone know how I can get it to fill the whole page?
    Also- is it possible to put an online order form on it, that links to Paypal, for example?

Any advice/money/orders gratefully recieved!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  2. hornyas

hornyas Member

Steve March is an ace at setting up websites. He'll be able to point you in the right direction.;)
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Couple of quick points:

1. Main problem I can see is the use of images where text should be used eg. - makes searching very hard indeed, not to mention making page sizes unnecessarily large
    2. The images at the bottom of the main page do not make it clear what they're linking to, granted there are text links at the top, but I don't see the point in having the image links there if people don;t realise what they lead to!
    3. Include samples of the music - personally I always like to hear before I buy
    4. Perhaps as the site develops, include a search facility and an online payment method (Edit: I see you'e already mentioned an online payment method as being a problem, above)
    5. Shocking! Where's the link to tMP???? ;)

Hope that helps, good luck with the site and the venture.
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Everything Dyl said and would definitely look into using frames too. Then you can have a static menu on each page and static banner with the Zonar Music logo in with just one frame re-loading. looks cleaner.

Good start though
  5. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Thanks for the comments so far!

Regarding dyls points: of the downsides of using MS Publisher is that it seems to convert everything into picture files, rather than text. Also makes posting HTML stuff (hit counters, etc) v difficult. Anyone know a way around this?
    2. Yeah, not terribly clear. Will amend these this evening.
    3. Most of the music has audio samples there! (on the first solo brass page theres a hyperlink to a bit which says something like 'more info, sound clips, view music' )
    4. Yeah. Anyone know how to add an online payment facility?
    5. Ah.... I did it in black ink on a black background!! hee hee! Will be 'visible' by tonight! ;-)

Regarding Steves point- seems another option thats lacking from MS Publisher. I did try other programs, but MS P seemed easiest and didnt want to pay out for Dreamweaver, Front page, etc!
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know whether it's specific to my laptop, but some of the music examples are not very clear, with some of the lines on the stave missing.
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Sound clips of the horn solos don't work for me. And the font size could do with being a bit bigger in the bit about you. Apart from that it looks pretty good. Well done, but then I'd expect a fellow Horn player to be good at most things. :)
  8. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Cheers Rapier. I'll check out the sound files, they work on these comps but could be a problem elsewhere.
    Im not happy with the music examples either, need to play around with Photoshop I think!
    Another query to those Ive already raised- how do i make it fill the whole screen?
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

All I'd suggest instead of using frames is to use the Include statement. Frames are inherently a Microsoft IE/FP feature and much preferred is the use of Include. Essentially what you need to do is create a header file that contains the items you wish to see on every page - and call that file with the use of the Include statement from each other page.

Ask around on some webmaster, coding or technical support www forums.
  10. cornishscot

cornishscot Member

You do not make it clear as to whether the music this site will provide for customers are original works (i.e. not subject to any copyright limitations), custom (or other) arrangements of existing works available elsewhere. I would like to hope the stuff you'll be churning out is (a) legal (first & foremost) and (b) original in some respect in that there is not currently 10 other BB or whatever arrangements of that piece out there competing for the paying customer's money.

As a fellow webmaster I would concur with other TMP'rs that it is "not bad for your first attempt" (probably better than "not bad" actually) appearance and content wise generally speaking.
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes, if you want to use Paypal then Paypal generate code automatically on their website, which you can paste onto your own, creating a shopping cart facility. It's quite nifty, but not enormously user friendly when you are setting it up. Great for the users of the website though!