new music publications to consider buying/avoid

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornishscot, Jun 28, 2009.

1. cornishscot

cornishscot Member

Anbody playing in a band which has recently purchased some new music titles for its summer programme etc. got any suggestions to make as to what are (a) hits or (b) misses please? The band I play with are a decent 3rd Section standard currently so nothing too difficult only a championship band would make a decent job of please. All ideas welcome, together with publisher details where available please.

Look forward to hearing back from you all on this soon. Thanks in advance.
  2. Red Dog Brass

Red Dog Brass Member

Hi There,

This sounds very self propmoting but have a look at
    In Particular - The Rutter hymn, Get Happy. Papa Can You Here Me and Bewitched.
    The others may be a bit tricky. The above have been played out at park jobs - easy listening by both Northfleet (2nd) and Aveley (champ) as well as other southern bands.

Good luck on the search anyway.
  3. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Take a look at

Matt's very friendly and all of his arrangements are suitable for 3rd Section bands - maybe apart from Cuban Overture and The Planets.

Great service and excellent music - I for one was very impressed with all of his music, which you can listen to on the website.
  4. BariPower

BariPower Member

Heard Sunrise Over Blue Ridge at Brass in Concert by Dan Price -
    Island of the Setting Sun played at the Europeans by Richard Rock -
    (Heard a fourth section band play this recently!)
    Blakley band had some commisioned from a few composers recently for the french open - I dont know if any of those are available yet ?
  5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Shamelessly plugging my own stuff...
    Take a look at British Grenadiers and Grand Old duke have both been very popluar (and dead easy).
    Solos - Another Day, New Dawn and Our Love is Here to stay again great for bandstand concerts.
    All music tried and tested by Cowes Concert Band
  6. brut33

brut33 Member

i bought a couple of things for our 'summer band' - a combo of youth band and seniors (more youth than senior). Nice easy arrangement of It's not Unusual by Stefan Sch-something... Albion Treasures is very playable, effective and unusual, goes down well with the old folks!
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I would strongly suggest having a look at Philip Sparke's stuff currently on the Anglo Music bit of De Haske's site. Most of the pieces have audio samples and show pages of the full score too.

We bought:
    The Earle of Oxford's March,
    Processional and
    Prelude on an Irish Folk Tune

earlier this year and they have proved very popular with band an audience alike. The Prelude on an Irish Folk Tune has proved very popular and is within grasp of a good 3rd/2nd section band.
  8. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Prelude on an Irish Folk Tune is gorgeous. Featured it on LTTB when I conducted Kirkintilloch. Buy that one!!!
  9. Bass Trumpet

Slightly biased, I must admit - I was playing 1st trombone on the GUS recording of it!
  10. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I agree with the above - Go Down Moses is very playable and goes down well with audiences and players.
    She walked throught the fair is gorgeous.
  11. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

I would certainly recommend Island of the Setting Sun by Richard Rock and Sunrise Over Blue Ridge by Dan Price both good pieces. Also have a look at Mid All the Traffic (not sure off hand who by) and An American Tale by Dan Price is not too bad either its tricky but very playable I think maybe some people might disagree but my is an ok Second Section Band and I think we can manage it!
  12. Mode For....

Mode For.... Member

13. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Island of the setting Sun is a fantastic piece to listen to and also to play, however i think for even a top 3rd section band, it might be a bit of a stretch, there's a lot of weird rhythms and technical passages in it. An upcomign composer though, i have heard a couple more of his pieces and they are well worth a try.
  14. Big Shiny Brass

Big Shiny Brass New Member

Indeed I am very friendly... I can sort you out with a nice discount if you'd like to buy anything from Big Shiny Brass. (That goes for the rest of you on this forum too, of course).

Just drop me a line on or PM me. I've done quite a few arrangements that are perfect for 3rd section bands and are really fun to play!

15. Colin D

Colin D Member

Lovely piece, and given that I had it written for my wife I get brownie points every time we hear a band playing it ;)
  16. Bass Trumpet

Yes, you get a mention every time we play it!
  17. awalker

awalker Member

Have you tried Bernaerts Music (

I've recently purchased quite a few pieces from them and keep on going back :clap:!!
  18. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

Be careful when you mention Bernaerts you could easily become a "condemned man"!