New member saying Hello.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Phil3822, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Phil3822

Phil3822 Member

Hi all. I am Phil aged 29 and live near Wisbech which is near Peterborough, UK. I used to try to play the trumpet when in school and got to grade 3 however quickly gave up playing. I have decided I wish to start learning again and have booked some lessons with a teacher locally. I would like to play with a brass band in the long run. We have one local to where I am, a small non competition town band. I still have a Yamaha trumpet and have tried to play a little. Am feeling a bit deflated due to sounding so bad and not being able to read music as well as I could. I try to remember it has been 15 years and I never was that advanced in the first place.

My wife also used to play the Eb tuba and wishes to play again. She stopped playing more recently than me and played to a higher standard so she is joining the local band in the next few weeks.

Anyway, will no doubt appreciate plenty of help from the community here. I will be in the market for a Cornet when I get to a better standard.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello
    Phil
    Peterborough
    Yamaha
    Wisbech
  3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Don't feel down. Welcome to TMP. I don't get on here as often as I used to and noticed no-one had welcomed you so again I say WELCOME.
    Keep up with your practice and sound and reading will get better. No practice is wasted. Go for it.

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

If it really isn't woking on trumpet/cornet maybe it would be worth trying something a little larger?

After all you have probably grown a little since you last played, and sometimes it's a little easier on the lips with a larger mouthpiece.

Everything you've learnt (can remember) will still stay true whatever instrument you play.

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Very unusual for nobody to reply to your first post. Even so, a belated welcome and I hope you enjoy and are encouraged by the comments. Since you're getting some lessons, hopefully your teacher can make some recommendations about which instrucment you are best suited to. Above all, have fun!