New member from the US

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Leo Perez, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Leo Perez

Leo Perez New Member

I'm a new member from the Orlando, Florida area. I started playing trombone in 1981, the summer before my freshman year of high school. I was a quick learner and by my junior year I was 1st chair All-Region and 1st alternate to All-State. I didn't pursue a musical career in college (Engineering instead) and so my horn went into the closet. Fast forward past marriage, 2 kids, and an engineering career that supports my trombone acquisition habit.. since January of 2016 I've been playing with a local community symphony and it's been a wonderful experience. My orchestra-mates are great musicians and the music selections have been challenging for the most part. What has also made the experience memorable is that I've been playing the bass trombone (a different animal than the 1st trombone parts I was used to).

I have numerous horns at home, but my main one is a Getzen Custom 3047AFR large bore tenor and a Kanstul MS169i independent bass trombone. I also have a soprano, a lovely satin silver Conn 6H and a one-of-a-kind Olds Custom. Sadly, the small bore tenors rarely leave their cases.

2. jobriant

jobriant Member

Hello, Leo, from the opposite coast of our continent!

I think it's good that you have a solid career in engineering to support your music habit! Supporting one's self (and a family) as a full-time musician is pretty difficult to do these days.

I gather from your message that most of your ensemble playing is in an orchestra. I also play in a community orchestra, the South Valley Symphony of Gilroy, CA. You're right -- it's very different from the Wind Band playing we grew up with here in the USA. (Never before in my life have I counted so many rests!) But it's fun, it's challenging, and with orchestral winds being "one on a part" it means we really have to be able to play everything correctly, because there's nobody else to cover for our mistakes.

As you peruse this site, you'll see that most of the focus here is on British-style Brass Bands, and most of it centers geographically on the U.K. I'm not aware of whether there are Brass Bands in the Orlando area, but I suggest that you seek one out and see if they have trombone openings. The bass trombone chair in a Brass Band is a really interesting one, and the timbre of a Bass Trombone is one of the identifying features of the overall sound of a brass band.

If there's a Brass Band in your area, you might need to join on Tenor Trombone. This next statement may seem superfluous to players from outside the USA, but it's not something that every American brass player understands. In a Brass Band, the only instrument whose parts are printed in Bass Clef is the Bass Trombone. The 1st and 2nd Trombone parts are in Treble Clef, transposed up a ninth from sounded pitch -- the same transposition as the Baritone/Euphonium "Treble Clef" parts or the Tenor Sax parts in a typical American Wind Band. If you don't currently read treble clef, learning this will be a great asset to you if you seek membership in a Brass Band.

Some American Brass Bands, including the Pacific Brass Band which I conduct, go to the time and effort to create concert pitch parts in Bass Clef for the Baritones, Tenor Trombones, Euphoniums Eb Basses and Bb Basses, but others will expect you to read the published Treble Clef parts. I strongly recommend you look for a Brass Band in your neck of the woods. You'll be glad you did!

Jim O’Briant
    Gilroy, CA
    Conductor / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band
    www.pacificbrassband.org

3. Independent Silver Band

Independent Silver Band Active Member

And I am in the middle of the continent, between St. Louis and Evansville Indiana, both of which have brass bands. I would suggest getting on the NABBA site, and see if there are bands listed in your area.

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

5. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

The OP might well be very happy playing in an Orchestra - though I find it to be loads of time counting rests and listening to others playing around you - but just in case he'd like to join a Brass Band here's a link that might well help him: Brass Bands In North America . A list of 213 'Brass Bands' in North America - surprisingly including one that's 'only a stones throw' from The Whitehouse - with map details via links on that page to 6 in Florida. There is a Brass Band in Orlando (where the OP is based) and the next nearest one (listed) is in Tampa - Tampa doesn't look far on the map but I understand that it's the best part of a 90minute drive from Orlando.

I never really understood why an American decided to take over tmp, but the logic is now becoming more visible.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016