New MD for Yorkshire Co-op

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by brass journo, Oct 8, 2006.

1. brass journo

brass journo Member

The United Co-op Yorkshire Brass Band is delighted to announce that William Rushworth has accepted the position of Musical Director of the band with immediate effect.
    William is renowned as one of the world’s finest tenor horn players and in recent years has had unprecedented success as a conductor, particularly in leading Carlton Main Frickley Colliery back to the top of the British contesting scene.
    Said the band’s manager, Tabby Clegg: “William brings to the band the passion, vision and inspiration that it hopes will drive it forwards, helping it to fulfil its ambitions and goals and we wholeheartedly welcome William to our thriving team.”
    William directed the band at the recent Buxton Entertainment Contest, where it gained second place after just three rehearsals as a partnership.
    Commenting on his new position, William said:” After being invited to take the band at the Buxton Entertainment contest, I found that I was taking a band with drive, enthusiasm and a massive determination to succeed. The backroom team is excellent, and I feel, after the recent additions to the playing line up, that this is a band that can move forward and be successful.”
    The band also welcomes several new players to the fold, including Steve Houghton, Mike Brooks and Kathryn Stevenson on cornet, Leisa Mallalieu on flugel horn, Jenny Grover on baritone, Becky Venus on trombone, Stuart Crighton on Bb bass and Logan Hartley on percussion. Further player announcements will be made in the near future.
    The team’s first official engagement together will be televised on the BBC and Sky TV when the band performs at Old Trafford to a crowd of thousands prior to the Rugby Superleague Final on Saturday 14 October.