New MD at Besses

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by MattB, Sep 28, 2012.

1. MattB

MattB Member

Besses O' Th' Barn Band, one of oldest bands in the world, are looking to the future and are delighted to announce the appointment of the world-renowned Alan Wycherley as Musical Director. Alan is determined to be "the driving power behind re-establishing Besses as a banding force once again" in the run up to their bicentenary in 2018.

The band are also inviting applications for their remaining vacancies on Cornet (position negotiable) and tuned percussion to consolidate first and then work towards the ambition of promotion through the sections. Following Alan’s appointment, it has become a clear objective to return to the top flight of banding. Alan has already set out that "only people with a commitment to do all rehearsals and engagements need apply” to join what is a growing list of players showing an interest to be part of this Besses journey.

The band are formulating plans to undertake exciting projects in the years leading up to the bicentenary including potential books and recordings from the World Tour era, and the renovation of their famous bandroom in Whitefield.

Band Chairman, Matt Bailey said "We are delighted to secure someone of Alan's banding pedigree and calibre as our new MD. Together we are very excited about the months and years ahead as we focus on putting the band in the healthiest possible position, both on and off the stand, in time for our very special celebrations in a few years time."

Further contact information can be found at the band website:
    www.besses.co.uk

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Besses Besses O' Th' Barn Band
    Alan Wycherley
    Besses
    Cornet
    Besses Besses O
  3. Blades4Ever

Blades4Ever Member

Excellent news! Good luck Alan and the Band.

I really do hope you succeed and get the band back to where it belongs.

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Really excellent news about one of the finest band names in the history of the "Movement" ~ I sincerely hope that the band can build on this new initiative ~ the very best of luck.

~ Mr Wilx

5. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Besses O' th' Barn Band ~ 4th September 1982, British Open Championships, Free Trade Hall, Manchester, "Three Figures" by Herbert Howells, drawn number 18, 191 points, 1st Prize, Conducted by Roy Newsome (R.I.P.) 30 years on this year ~ cannot see any reason why history cannot repeat itself under Mr Wycherley in the near future, all the best.

KSJ (ex Besses of course).

6. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Ineresting news. It would be great to see such a famous band regain its former glory. I wonder if Mr W will be allowed to make the changes which will no doubt be necessary to achieve this? Besses of late have had more MDs than a banana republic. I wish him much success, and may his reign be long and glorious.
    Caio, CORLEONE.

7. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

Didn't know banana republics had MDs.

8. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Sorry Lofty, what i should have said was , They had more MDs than a banana republic has had presidents. I wonder why so many have come and gone in so shorter period ? Vested interests of a few I suppose. Probably need a good clear out. Wych just might be the man to do it.
    Ciao, CORLEONE.

9. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

A bit harsh Godfather. Some loyal and long-serving people there!

10. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Serving WHO ? Not the interests of the band if recent form is anything to go by. This could be their last chance before they become a legend rather than a living legend.

11. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Great news for Besses - do they still have a bar in the building?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Besses Besses O' Th' Barn Band
    Alan Wycherley
    Besses
    Cornet
    Besses Besses O