New Knockout Entertainment Contest at Kippax Band Club

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by andyfake, Jul 27, 2006.

1. andyfake

andyfake Member

For 2007, the Kippax Band will be replacing some of their monthly “band nights” with a knockout format entertainment contest, with prize money totalling over ₤1000. Four first round contests of three bands each will take place in the early months of the year, leading to summer semi-finals and then a final in November.

Main sponsor of the venture is @qau enviro Ltd, the company run by former Kippax and Black Dyke horn player Mark Lowe (now at Rothwell Temps). A big “thank you” goes to Mark for putting so much back into banding.

The contest is open to twelve bands graded Section 2 and below for 2007. A number of local bands have already been contacted, but anyone else interested should get in touch quickly. Full details are available on the band’s website www.kippaxband.co.uk

2. Hello,

This is a great idea - an innovation in band contesting!!

As one of the local bands you've approached, I can say we've discussed it at length and we all think it'd be something new and exciting for the band to take on.

Kevin

3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

There was a similar style contest for Radio Cornwall that I remember playing in the '80s.
    Each programme had 2 bands doing a 30 minute entertainment concert and it also worked on a knockout system until there were 2 bands left in a grand final

When I played for Caharrack and St Day we got to the final and I remember the whole contest being very exciting.

It's definately a good idea and I hope it's supported well

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Sounds like a great idea folks. Good luck with it.

5. andyfake

andyfake Member

Thanks for your comments Roy
    A lot of us used to enjoy the Radio Leeds "Knockout Brass" series at about the same time (showing age ;) ) - there were some very good bands in but it was down to the luck of the draw and there was always the chance of a "giant killing" if a lower section band gave a tight performance.
    We're hoping to re-kindle a bit of that atmosphere and provide some variety for audience and bandsmen alike. There's been a lot of positive feedback so far and four bands have already confirmed their entries, so hopefully we should get a good turnout.