New kids on the block!

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by JessopSmythe, Mar 23, 2005.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

In 1998, the long established Ystrad Mynach and District Band folded up for reasons that we won't go into here and now. The band had only recently acquired a full set of new instruments which were then left unplayed in the lofts and garages of various ex members.

Some of the ex players and supporters were obviously less than happy at both demise of the local band and the almost criminal waste of a good set of instruments and set about trying to recover both.

After a great deal of legal wrangling, false starts, empty promises and other setbacks, february 2005 saw the first ever rehearsal of the Ystrad Mynach Boys and Girls Club Brass Band.

This is not a re-formed phoenix type band but an entirely new venture. With the assistance of the YMBGC and the local schools and peripatetic teachers, we have recruited our first batch of new starters and now have regular rehearsals with about 15-20 new players aged 8-11.

The band is currently split into 2 fairly equal size sections, the beginner group for players who have never played a brass instrument and the intermediate for players who have some experience. Our first promotion from beginners to intermediate took place two weeks ago and, as the club regulars see and hear the band, new beginners have joined almost every week.

The band meets at the Ystrad Mynach Boys and Girls Club between 7pm and 8:30pm every wednesday and welcomes beginners of all ages.

Any other help also welcome. We currently have two tutors, myself and John Whatley of Newbridge Celenyn band with a possible third on the way to joining (a parent of one of our beginners who retired from the ISB that we're trying to tempt on board) but would gladly take on more, allowing us to offer more targetted tuition.

For more info, PM or email me - jessopsmythe@themouthpiece.com or contact

Ystrad Mynach Boys Club

Lisburn Rd, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed, Mid Glamorgan CF82 7AS

Tel: 01443 815766

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Will you have the longest name in banding, I wonder?

I can see it now - in a few years time. "And in third place, the band that played number 17....the Ystrad Mynach Boys and Girls Club Brass Band"

The 2 minutes applause will have died down before the name is completely read...

Good luck to all involved.