New John Pickard/Christian Lindberg Album

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by brassneck, Oct 22, 2008.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    John Pickard
    Christian Lindberg
    Spindle Of Necessity
    Christian Lindberg Album
    Channel Firing
  3. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Hi Tom,

Don't know "The Spindle of Necessity" but I did hear "Channel Firing", in this recording, on Radio 3 about 3/ 4 weeks ago.It's programme is based on a Thomas Hardy poem, written in 1914, telling the story of the dead rising from their graves on the coast of Southern England upon hearing the bombardment of the guns from across the Channel during WW1 thinking that the day of judgement has come.Great piece - very descriptive and atmospheric.

I've also got an old Radio3 recording somewhere of "The Fall of Icarus" which again IMO is very impressive.This was the piece which introduced me to the music of John Pickard and I must admit "Eden" seemed a bit of a let down after hearing this. Almost like he was having to temper his usual style and imagination in some way.

Sounds like an exciting CD release.

4. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Just bought it! Trying to increase my knowledge of what's out there!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Paul, when you actually get a chance to listen to it, tell us what it's like please! I probably will order it anyway to see what colours he teases out of his orchestration.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:woo I've just got my copy and listening to the album now! Flight Of Icarus has a hint of John Adams about it and Channel Firing is brooding with powerful brass and percussion scorching through. Playing is good so it gets my :tup.

7. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Still waiting on mine coming Tom.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's pure class and you'll enjoy it! One of the best releases of 2008. It's a shame Mark Eager wasn't allowed to play the trombone concerto though. Martyn Brabbins conducted the premiere that Mark played. I suppose a big name like Christian Lindberg would attract more sales.