New John Packer Soprano cornet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sherb, Jan 9, 2010.

1. sherb

sherb New Member

Hi, just tried the new John Packer soprano cornet at the John Packer shop in Taunton, it has triggers on the 1st and 3rd slides, blows better than a recent 2nd hand Xeno I tried out and it cost my girlfriend just over £200! Shame she couldn't afford a Schilke!!
    If you or your girlfriend don't have lots of cash and you want a new sop get down to the shop and buy one you wont be disapointed.

2. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Triggers? Wow. I have a JP Bb cornet for back-up purposes. It plays like a £400 - £500 Yamaha and cost less than £200, but triggers? That sounds great.

3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yep, the newer JP Bb cornets have the 1st+3rd triggers too, along with the smith watkins leadpipe.
    I think they have really hit the nail with some of their more recent releases.
    In the past year, for my youth band, I've bought an Eb bass, a (jp)rath trom, 3 tenor horns and 2 cornets.. All JP branded, and all worth at least double the price paid.

4. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I bought a JP D/E-flat trumpet a few months back and its awesome. As good as my mate's Schilke and she's quite jealous that she spent almost 3 times the price. Used it in a gig with her and everyone was amazed that both of us were playing at the same time cos no-one could tell. Really easy to blow and decent build quality. :D

5. flugman

flugman New Member

I bought a JP baby Bb bass 6 months ago for home practice, to save dragging the Sovereign around and to be honest it is really good. I used it for all of the Christmas carolling gigs and a couple of small concerts and it was fine. Thinking about buying my daughter one of the Bb cornets with triggers as well.

6. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Anyone tried the John Packer baritone?

alanl58

7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yep our band has one, it looks and sounds like an old sovereign!!!:clap:

8. brownrob

brownrob Member

Sounds like JP have hit the spot with these new set of Instruments!

How do they compare to the Virtuosi?

9. Jerry

Jerry Member

I bought myself the JP 271 SW Bb cornet about a year ago and it is a very credible instrument, certainly as a back-up which is what I wanted. At the time it was around £220 (I think it's gone up to around £280 now). First and third slide triggers, a good sound that's perhaps slightly brighter than the Sovereign 928 and it's not quite as free blowing in my opinion. Excellent response, though, well balanced right across the range and good valve action.

Overall, a good alternative to much more expensive instruments.

10. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Can we all stop giving JP sooo much praise so they don't put the prices up. I've got a JP 251 SW trumpet. I love it, so I'm saving up for on of thier D/Eb ones.

Andrew

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    John Packer Soprano
    Hi
    John Packer
    Taunton
    John Packer shop
  12. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I just bought a JP baritone JP273 (nothing like a tMpers recommendation eh?).

Lovely instrument, very soft valve springs - ideal for an older player like me who has the beginnings of arthritis! Good price too - vat has increased on some price lists.

Sounds good, though I play it a little sharp at times, good in the upper register with a good mouthpiece (Vincent Bach 22).

Excellent help and assistance from John Packer staff, very knowledgeable, very helpful.

My only crtiticism woukld be that the John Packer case is moulded to be very protectful of the instrument, to the point where the tuning slide fouls the case if left pulled out, which means re-tuning every time you use it.

Just hope I can now play all the right notes, in the right order, at the right time - no excuses left!

alanl58

13. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Hi Alan

Glad you like the baritone, shame about the tunig slide though (nothing like a bit of japanese folk music every time you know that well known folk song "tu ning")

Anyone any idea why the D/Eb trumpet page for the John Packer horn has disapeared. Maybe I've visited it so often to drool I've worn it out. I hope it means the new one will be available soon

Cheers All

Andrew

14. alanl58

alanl58 Member

The D/Eb is still shown in their prices lists....

Alanl58

15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah they seem to fiddle with the website quite a bit.. one of the JP Rath trom pages disappeared for a while too.

16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well, if you excuse the fact that Steve plays the French Horn! And to think he was a cornet player in the Royal Marines for years. The man has no shame. :cool: