New Joe Alessi CD

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by John Brooks, Feb 27, 2008.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I just saw this on WoB - Bone-A-Fide Brass - Joe Alessi (Trombone) with Imperial Brass.

Does anyone know what Imperial Brass is? Is this a similar group to Metro Brass that made an earlier CD with Alessi?
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Imperial Brass are based in Montclair NJ and are a british style brass band - I have a copy of an earlier CD of theirs - Mark Freeh, the well known band arranger, is a founding member and will no doubt have done many of the charts on this CD.
    Track listing:
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  3. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I heard this CD a couple of years ago before it was finalised for release. Joe Alessi gives dazzling performances in various styles -- straight and jazz.

(I conducted this band for a few years in the 1990s.)
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I picked up a copy a few weeks ago on ebay - mentioned it on the "What are you listening to . . . " thread. Excellent playing, nice mix of styles, and well worth looking at.

Mark Freeh has done seven of the arrangements, and the conducting is shared between Derek Smith (former Bandmaster of the NYSB) and Glen Daum, New york composer, arranger and producer, one of whose claims to fame is to have won awards for his composing for "Sesame Street" :)eek: ).

The disc was recorded in June 2005 over a long weekend.
  5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've added it to my list :)