New Innovations From Butlins

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by postie, Jan 10, 2005.

1. postie

postie Member

Anyone got any thoughts abot the new innovations from Butlins reported on 4bars . The draw on the Saturday is apparantly going to be on live on the Butlins information Channel. Also the prizes will be given out at Glitzy(as they call it) ceremony taking place at 8pm on the Saturday night this will involve 1st, 2nd,3rd, and 4th section. They are doing the same thing on the Sunday night for the Championship Section.

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the draw on the Butlins Telly...

Quite indifferent on the 'prize' ceremony.

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Draw sounds great!

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

At least Butlins / NMBBA are trying something different. I think they're both potentially good ideas, it just depends on the implementation. The "glitzy awards ceremony" sounds fun....I must remember to pack my tux. ;) :)

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

And try not to spill beer over it :eek:

6. postie

postie Member

Are you going to wear the brightest tux in Butlins than so we can spot you Ian!!!!

7. WoodenFlugel

I don't need it mate - just look over everyone's head and if I'm in the room you'll see me :-D

8. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I hope the adjudicators are locked in their boxes by that point then! :-?

9. Ginge

Ginge Member

It all sounds pretty good to me!

10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

The awards ceremony thing kinda happened last year when all the section (1, 2, 3, 4) results were announced together. Great idea in theory, but when you announce the top 4 bands in each section, each with compulsory cheering, photos with the trophy, hand shaking etc, as well as adjudicators spiel, the 1st section bands are almost asleep by the time it gets round to their section!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Butlins
    Anyone
    thoughts
    Glitzy
    innovations
  12. jo

jo Member

8pm?
    what time is the section due to finish on the sunday? I thought it was a morning kick off and would be finished mid afternoon....I cant imagine that many people wanting to hang around til 8 for the results.... I certainly wont be...not with the long drive home and having to be up early for work on monday!

13. postie

postie Member

I think the downside of all of this is the fact that if a band isn't staying on site, than 8pm for prize giving may result in the band getting home very late.

14. Ali

Ali Member

Good luck to the organisers for trying something new and different. I for one am very excited about the contest and the entire weekend. I can't wait. BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Great idea but will not be stopping for the sunday presentation.

See you all threr folks:)

16. flahshorn

flahshorn Account Suspended

I like the fact that I won't have to get out of bed for the draw then can go back to sleep if we're drawn last!

Are they seriously expecting us to remain partially-sober until 8/9/10pm by the time we get the results??! I won't be!!!

Looking forward to it now, should be a good weekend :D

17. WoodenFlugel

Just to clarify the prizegiving situation. I saw a mate who is on the NEMBBA committee today, and the results and prizes will be given at 8pm.

I.E no-one will know where they came - top 3 or otherwise - until then.

18. postie

postie Member

I have to be honest I don't think to much thought has been put into this. Giving the prizes at 8pm is fine, but not announcing the result till than well I think is a bit stupid!!!!

19. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

I think that it is quite sad that bands are not staying on camp. Also we cant knock NEMBBA for trying it is time we did thinks differently. Normally when results are given at contests everyone clears off, this way people will stay around. Yes it will be hard for the ones not on camp but for the ones staying it should be a great night.

Cant wait we a great time in 2003 and am sure we will have an even better time this year.

20. Ginge

Ginge Member

You cannot expect every band to stay on camp! Local bands to the contest, will not want to be paying for accomodation when they live down the road!

I personnaly like the idea, although i'm not sure it will work out.

21. jo

jo Member

Its not just the bands that arent staying on site who this (in my opinion) ridiculous set-up affects. I am sure that many people are in the same boat as me in that I have to be at work normal time monday morning (7am for me after an hours commute). Unfortunately we also have a vanload of percussion to return to our bandroom, at least a couple of hours from skeggy and another 40 minutes from home.
    For me and the other percs that means leaving asap on the sunday as hanging around for an 8pm announcement gets us home sometime around midnight...not conducive to getting up for work the next morning. So I would have to say that as an innovation this is a poor one....I would like to be able to celebrate the result with my band like last year and still be home at a reasonable hour, which wont happen this year.
    By all means have a big presentation later on in the evening if you must, but give out the results within an hour of the end of the section, cos those of us who have to leave will leave regardless of when the results are given, and those who can hang around til 8pm or later will probably drink the bar dry in the interim, so Butlins wont lose out on any trade and we wont miss out on the traditional cheering/booing results announcements!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Butlins
    Anyone
    thoughts
    Glitzy
    innovations