New Horn Solos on Market

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by RandomHornPlayer, Mar 17, 2006.

1. RandomHornPlayer

RandomHornPlayer New Member

Hi folks looking out for some new horn solos to pick up - got one from justmusicuk.com , 'someone like you', Frank Wildhorn which is quite nice. Don't know if anyone has played it yet - any others around to recommend ?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    New Horn Solos on Market Hi
    horn solos
    one
    justmusicuk.com
    others
  3. SteveT

SteveT Member

I have a few..... what kind of thing are you looking for?

4. There's a new one by Andy Duncan called Andante and Allegro. Not sure who published it but it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of. Also, I'm not sure that any band other than ours has played it so it'll almost certainly be new to an audience.

5. RandomHornPlayer

Cool will check it out, mainly after new stuf as have played the old stuff to death!
    Dont normally go for cheesy music unless its a good arrangement. Also
    dont like old style air & variations, need to move with the times - a decent 20th cent. piece would be good, Ellerbys horn concerto is a step in the right direction, some more like that. Just list any titles and composers - cheers.

6. asteria

asteria Member

Have to agree about 'Someone Like You', it's a gorgeous piece (from Jekyll and Hyde the musical) and superbly arranged - accompianment isn't too heavy, unlike most horn solos. (It's actually arranged by Richard Rock, up-and-coming composer at Salford Uni & coincidentally my flatmate, I'll tell him you liked it!! :D)

It's only recently been published, but it's already been recorded on a new CD (think it was Mossley band).

Also worth keeping an eye out for stuff by Lucy Pankhurst too (done a great arrangement of Santa Baby altho may be the wrong type of year for that one!). Beyond that I'm struggling to think of any good new horn solos (Piper of Dundee is great altho that's a few years old now so not exactly classed as new).

It's about time people started writing/arranging some good stuff for tenor horn, there's a very limited repertoire around!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  7. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

If you like that, why don't you try Arthur Butterworths Saxhorn Sonata?

Concertino by Gareth Wood?

Errmmm I've just bought a new one, not played it yet but someone told me its good.. Fantasy for Tenorhorn by Robert Collinson.

Cornucoppia - Bram Wiggins

Sonota for Horn and piano by ermmm..Golland?? I'm not sure.

Happy buying and playing :)

Vicki xx

8. RandomHornPlayer

Well I have not played the saxhorn sonata or the Fantasy so will check them out as for the others - they are the old pieces I am on about, I have played those to death except for the Cornucppia, if I play that piece again someone please pull the trigger!
    Unfortunately the horn collection is not like the euph/cornet/trombone as they have many named players to commission new works every week.
    But I'd like to see that all change someday - cheers for those piece names.

9. Fridge

Fridge Member

Someone Like You - Its a great tune from a great musical arranged fantastically by Richie Rock!

BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. RandomHornPlayer

Calm down mate - its a nice cheesy tune, all credit to the guy I like it but it wont get a nomination at the next brass band oscars!

11. Vickitorious

Unless you need them accompanied, why don't you try some euphonium or cornet pieces. Thats what I'm doing at the minute.

Currently working up Philip Sparkes Pantomime for Euphonium.

Meditation from Thais is really nice, and Song for Ina.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    New Horn Solos on Market Hi
    horn solos
    one
    justmusicuk.com
    others
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... why not look at the french horn solo repertoire? Lots of variety and there are more than a few that can sound effective on tenor horn!

14. RandomHornPlayer

Yes I have played euph solos (Panache, fantasy for euph, song for ina) and cornet ones and french horn (gregsons horn concerto is a good one) but you've just proved my point of how limited the repetiore is by reverting to other instrumental collections so quickly.
    Anyway I'll just lie in wait for some more to be produced. Thanks again for your input.

15. hornyas

hornyas Member

There's a fairly new horn solo which hasn't hit UK shores yet called Trilogy by American composer Bill Broughton. I actually commissioned it for my performance at the Ern Keller International contest about 3 years ago. I was on flugel then, but Bill has published it for flugel and tenor horn. It's been used as a tenor horn test piece in Australia and New Zealand this year. You can purchase it through Muso's Media - www.musosmedia.com.au

Rob

16. Vickitorious

Lol! I completely agree! There is a BIG shortage of music for horn. Theres not that many big pieces. Ones that can be used for auditions and such. You've got your few like masquerade and concertino and ellerby.. but what happens when you've used them..? You have to start on cornet and euphs.

Plleeease If theres any composers out there wanting to write a solo anytime soon.. could you make it for horn please? :rolleyes:

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There's a good Kenneth Downie solo from the Salvation Army repertoire entitled "Festive praise". The link is to the horn and piano version - it has now been published for band as well, but I believe it's only available on a sheet with three other pieces.

If you want to know more about it, ask cantonian, as I know he's played it, and it was recorded by Stephen Hanover and the Regent Hall band. Quite declamatory at times, and very different from the old-fashioned air varie ;)

http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/95055.html