New here!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cornetmad, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

Hi all, I am new on here but not to banding - I started playing the cornet at age 10 and joined my local town band at that time too. I am 34 now and apart from a break for University etc. I have been playing and banding since. I am still with my much beloved Thrapston Town Band in Northants.

I have always been a Bb cornet player playing every position in our band from Principal to 3rd cornet. I am currently playing 2nd cornet but for a couple of reasons I have just started to swap over to soprano cornet for the first time which is a new challenge for me!

Best regards to all on here

Nicola

2. Di

Di Active Member

Hi Nicola and :hi to tMP.

It's good to have you with us and we hope you enjoy reading and posting on tMP and make a few new friends along the way.

If you need any help finding your way around, please don't hesitate to shout.

Good luck with your venture on to the sop! :)

3. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

Hey welcome Nicola, you'll find you will soon be addicted to posting on these forums hope you have fun. GL and welcome to the Eb world :p

4. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Hi Nicola, i play cornet too, AND i'm called Nicola!! How great eh? ha ha ha.

anywayyyy...welcome you're sure to havevlots of fun on here! Good luck with the sop playing, i wouldn't wanna try it!

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Welcome indeed - as Di says, if you want help with anything - just shout... :hi

6. Rodney

Rodney Member

G'day Nicola and a special welcome to the special world of E flat - you won't enjoy the sharps however, the flats are a breeze :)

See ya

7. rikster

rikster New Member

new look to tMP

I just wanted to say that I really like the new format to tMP, Clear, clean and to the point.
    Well Done all.:clap:

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Many thanks rikster - always good to read such feedback. Cheers.

9. chill

chill Member

I swapped over to Sop 3 months ago after 35 years on Bb. It certainly is a new challange :)
    -Chris

10. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

How are you doing on the Sop then Chris after 3 months?

I see you are in Berks, I am originally from Berks but moved to Northants when I was young.

Thanks everyone for all your kind replies! Look forward to chatting to you all.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    time
    soprano cornet
    local town band
    Bb cornet player
    position
  12. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

Hi Nicola - after my first 2 practices with the band on Sop I am not sure that they want me to try it either!!!!!

13. chill

chill Member

Hi Nicola
    well I think it's going ok. No one has thrown rotten veg at me yet ;-) We just had the biggest concert in the bands history at the Hexagon in Reading with David Childs as guest soloist. I have to say that with 2 weeks to go I was starting to wonder if my concert (in fact any event) debue was going to be embarassing :-(. I was struggling with stamina and maintaining my range for more than 40 minutes. Eventually I compromised with a week to go and swapped to a shallower mouthpiece. Not the sound I want but it was the only way to have any chance of getting through the concert.

Sounds like your trying to play Bb and learn Sop. I made the break. It was the only way I had a chance of being able to hear in my head where the notes are in Eb. I took a week of playing scales , arpegios and stamina exercises before I sat down for the first rehearsal. And not picked up by Bb since for fear of confusing my little brain :)

Hope you get chance to keep trying.
    -Chris

14. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

I totally agree with you Chris that for the majority of us mere mortals making a clean break and moving solely onto soprano is the way to go. The situation at my band is a little more complicated than that at the current time.

I had my 3rd practice with the band on sop tonight and I was quite happy with progress. I am finding scales, arpeggios and Arban exercises useful. I have also gone back to some of my cornet / trumpet solo books and am just playing lots of them - easy stuff but useful for getting used to pitching and playing in Eb.

I really need to work on the notes in the upper register now! :redface:

All the best :tup

Nicola