New Graphics/Video Card

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mjwarman, Jul 13, 2007.

1. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I am looking to buy a new graphics/Video card for my computer, but have no idea what is good? I don't have a very high budget (about £70) and want something that will run new games with ease. Nothing groundbreaking, but I just want to get rid of the jerking graphics. (Just want to be able to play Halo 2/3 and trackmania to a good standard)

I have a HP dual core that came with a bog standard ATI Radeon card.

Are there any experts out there that could suggest something good?

A TV out port would be a bonus too!

Thank you in advance.
  2. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

I bought an ATI Radeon X1300 about 6 months ago for £90, they should be cheaper now. The performance for the money is excellent. To get the gorgeous graphics and smooth framerate on the newest games you will need to spend more, but, as a compromise option between price and power I have found it superb. TBH anything to do with computers is a number game, the higher the numbers, the better it is. One word of advice tho, stay away from the overclocked cards, and don't get any marked "lite, LT or SE" as these are poor relations of the proper cards.
  3. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

have a look at they have some pretty good gear on the site.

you could get a NVIDIA 7950 or 7600 for about 70 to 90 quid. They aint world beaters but will do you for a budget.

All my gear is overclocked and i have never had an issue. But then again i do do it for a living.
  4. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

Gareth, you know you just sit behind the wheel of a car for a living. Leave the Hardware advice to US professionals at the coal face!!
  5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Have a look at, they do a regualr comparison of all the available graphics cards, not long ago they did a best in each price bracket review.

My PC has a Nvidia 7600GT, which came out best under £90ish iirc. Needs a PCI-Express socket on the motherboard though. Has flown through anything I've chucked at it though, TOCA Rce driver 2 and Colin Mcrae rally fly with all settings on full at 1280x1024.
  6. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Thanks for the advice so far, keep pinging ideas at me, am in no rush!!!
  7. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I've gone for a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT. I managed to get one within the budget and after reading numerous reviews I think it will end up being more than enough for what I need it for.

Thank you all for your help as always. :clap: