New Geneva Bb Cornets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ron Lander, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Just wondering if any of you good people have bought or tried the new Geneva Symphony and/or Cardinal cornets? What are your thoughts? Would you buy one? Going to try both tomorrow myself along with other makes. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

2. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Reputable instruments so should be in the running. I'm sure if you're trying several makes, the right cornet will find you.

3. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Asking because they seems quite a bit underpriced compared to the competition, eg, Wilson, Stomvi, Besson spring to mind here. I know production Genevas where handed out to some UK bands for testing. Hopefully a member or two of those bands frequent this site.

4. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

What else are you trying?
    Where are you going to try them?

:)

5. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Wilson 530 for sure plus the above mentioned.
    Shop is Rosehill instruments.
    As you know Tom my main instrument is a Stomvi Sop. But I am playing Bb at a contest this month and maybe another on Bb in March and I dont want to spend another £3500!

6. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Rosehill have a very good choice and allow plenty of time to play and decide without watching over you in the upstairs room.

Ron Lander likes this.
  7. Tom-King

Why the main tuning slide?

Most players I know either don't have them or don't use them, and the mechanisms on pretty much all of them seem to be really unreliable.

8. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

I tend to go sharp on high notes when lips are getting tired. But, maybe I don’t need one. Not been back playing long enough yet to gain full stamina. It certainly opens up many options not having one.

I also need to work more on supporting the air with better posture. But thats a different story.

9. Tom-King

Tending to go a bit sharp up high (especially on tired chops) is exactly what you'd expect (going flat on the other hand is not good) - as you say, stamina will come with practice.

Some posture issues are very easily fixed, some take a bit more conscious effort (as with so many things, though, trying to correct too many at once often ends up with things getting forgotten).... Try this, for example - stand in front of the mirror and go to play a note, obviously you'll bring the instrument to you but do you also move your head forward towards the instrument?

What Bb cornet are you playing at the moment?

10. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Thanks Tom, I am using the series of books by Claude Gordon to help with breathing, posture etc and I think they are excellent. Problem arises when you go to a rehersal and immediatly forget what you spent all week doing in practise.

Currently playing one of the very first production B&H Soveriegns which I bought new in the early 1970s.

11. Tom-King

Practice at home is "habit building" - the more ingrained the habits you build at home become, the more they'll manifest at band (and elsewhere).

The CG books are good - there are so many great books out there it's hard to know where to start, but the CG stuff will do very nicely :)

Nowt wrong with a good old "Roundstamp", if well looked after they'll still keep up with most you can buy today... but the very best of now are excellent too.

I presume you'll be taking your own cornet with you?
    If you decide you like something, it makes sense to be able to A-B it with yours - something you know well is always a very useful benchmark.

12. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

Yes taking my cornet to part ex it. But a very good point you make about using it to compare.

Doing A bit of internet reasearch on reviews leads me to think the Yamaha will suit me so shall make sure I try that along with the other makes. They also have a very nice top of the range S/H Wilson if I can stretch to it.

13. Ron Lander

Ron Lander New Member

In case we have any lurkers. Back from the shop. Tried pretty much everything including three Genevas. Maybe down to my mouthpiece which is narrow with a narrow throat (its a custom made Stork 7D) but the Genevas and Besson where eliminated quickly. Loved the laquered Yamaha Neo, until I tried two Wilsons. Close call between a new 421 and a like new but S/H 450SG large bore. They were just easier to blow than the Neo and sounded a tiny bit fuller. Went for the 450 for no particular reason. Many thanks to Rosehill Instruments. Paul is top man with great staff. My shop of choice.

Tom-King, PeterBale and 4th Cornet like this.
  14. Hsop

Hsop Member

Glad you found a cornet that's right for what you wanted. Willson are an excellent instrument maker that are not in the limelight as much as some of the other brands. I have a Willson flugelhorn that is superb although I don't have the chance to use it that often. Let us know how you are finding the willson cornet after you have had more time on it.

Ron Lander likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice