New Flugel ??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by malrep, Aug 24, 2008.

1. malrep

malrep New Member

Can anyone help me ?
    My band have finally given in and are going to buy me a new flugel. Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated - currently play Yamaha maestro, not sure what make and model to plump for.
  2. rikster

rikster New Member

I play a Cortois AC155, and I love it. I had a band flugel, a Yamaha maestro and the third slide trigger really cheesed me off having to play it with my little finger,. The cortois triggers both first and third are smooth to use , well placed (for me anyway) and I find the instrument easier blowing than the yamaha. Good luck in your choice.
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Time to get out there and try some.
    Try everything you can get your hands on and see what you think of the instruments that are available.
    Personally, I play an Eclipse flugel - yes, they are very pricey - but, for me, they are worth every penny.
  4. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

No question - get yourself down to First Class Brass and try one of Leigh's flugels. I'll say no more - his reputation should be enough.

(First Class Brass make Eclipse, btw)
  5. rebecca

rebecca Member

I recommend a Bach Strad!!!
  6. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Courtois 155R - totally amazing sound. I love mine to bits!

I had a Bach Strad for years and swore by it until I tried a Courtois, and haven't looked back since.
  7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Nooooooooooo!!!! I had 4 and sent them all back then went onto horn and the person sat there in my absence kept the next one and its mince too! Now back on flugel and playing the besson meha the band had when I joined in 1984, looks a bit scruffy but plays better than the strad. Would rather get it overhauled than get a new one. What's wrong with ur old one? New instruments are severely overrated!
  8. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

Try the Kanstul. The most popular is the 1525. A really good horn. I know they are not cheap but I think they are worth every penny.
    By the way, the strad flugel is not well thought of in the U.S.
  9. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I have a Conn which I love. Not everyones choice and it is a heavy instrument but it does have a beautiful sound. Just go to your nearest reputable music shop and get them to let you use a room by yourself with all the flugels they have. When I did that I didn`t know any of the prices so that couldn`t influence my choice either.
  10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I went through buying my own flugel two years ago. After trying the Conn Vintage 1, the Cortois 155R and the Kanstul ZKF1525 and comparing the all to the strad I was playing on at the time, I opted for the Kanstul. In truth I don't think you could really go wrong with any of those choices, my selection was down to personal preference.

For me I was unimpressed with the build quality of the Cortois I tried - there were several plating issues on it and the 1st trigger didn't work at all well, that said the sound was great and it plays very well in tune. Had it been someone else's dosh I'd have probably been tempted, but as it was my own the build quality put it out.

The Conn is a great instrument, but quite heavy. I was blown away by it until I tried the Kanstul which gave me the exact sound I was looking for - big and dark. After having it for a couple of years I'm sure I made the right choice for me, but you are the only person to gauge which is right for you - so find a friendly retailer and let them know what you're interested in (you may struggle with the Kanstul's availability though).

As for the Eclipse range - sadly they were out of my budget at the time. Typically, after I'd got my Kanstul they dropped their prices - but hey the 1525 is a great instrument and I'm more than happy with it.

BTW - do you know what your budget is? There is about £1000 difference in the prices of the instruments mentioned in this thread.
  11. leisa

leisa Active Member

I agree, i tried a besson, courtois and my trusty Yam Maestro and still think mine is the best
  12. rebecca

rebecca Member

Eeveryone's got their own taste I suppose but I played a Yamaha a few weeks ago and wasn't keen.Much prefer my Strad.As I said though everyone has their own taste.
  13. leisa

leisa Active Member

thats true, its prob best to try a few different ones and see which suits you best
  14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Surely it doesn't bode well that after trying 4 different strads they all had different problems on top of them all blowing like they had a housebrick wedged in the bell. Tried a couple of yamahas too and they were madly out of tune. I have a yamaha trumpet and it's fine but flugels seem easier to stuff up in the build process?

Another victim of the lottery crazed mass production???:confused:
  15. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Sounds a bit like the machine that's slowly disintegrating in my hands just now...

(PS in '84, when you joined DBB, we had a newish Sov. - MCB had the Besson... I've played 'em both, and our Juniors have the Sov now. It's still playable, but maybe past its best after x years of scholastic treatment...)

If I were shelling out my hard-earned on an instrument, I'd want to try as many as possible, and I'd also like an 'independant panel' to hear the results - in my case: an MD, a composer/arranger, and about three or four players... - all of whom have known me (and my playing) for several years ;) , and whose opinion I would trust.

Then I'd pick the one I liked.....
  16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

17. McChambo

McChambo Member

The Bach Strad is perfect for me, and has been for a number of years. The only problem I've had was not with the playing, it was with the lacquer. My hydrochloric hands destroyed it completely. The guys at First Class brass recently relacquered it and now it's sounding like Arthur Mullins.

Yamaha's are too small for me. However, it all depends on what you grow up with, how you blow the thing and how you want the instrument to sound.
  18. sianybee24

sianybee24 New Member

I have played on quite a few Flugels in my time and I always find myself going back to my refurbed second hand strad. It's an absolute monster.
    Personally I find Courtois' are excessively large, Yamaha's are really restricted airflow and Besson's, well, I have only ever encountered a minefield of Intonation issues.
    Best thing to do is try lots and lots of them. I thought a new one would have done it for me but Strad have been making consistently superb horns for many years!
    I love my horn. I wouldn't give it away for anything! It's a bobby dazzler.
    Best of luck finding your perfect match!
    Never give up the hunt
    Muchos Love
    X mwah X
  19. RussQ

RussQ Member

I've just moved from the the back row to Flugel (Trying to fill some rather large shoes. Hi Sian & Richard!) and been lucky enough to inherit a brand new strad. It's a fine hooter apart from a slightly sticky first valve, grrrrrr! I agree its best to try as many as you can get your hands on. It all depends on the cash available ultimately I guess! I've heard the Eclipse is the absolute dogs if your pockets are deep enough! Good luck.
  20. HBB

HBB Active Member

Good luck Russ!
    I'm on flugel now too!!