New Flugel

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hollso, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Hollso

Hollso Member

My mum's on the search for a new flugel, and has spotted a nice looking C.G Conn. Vintage 1FR. We were wondering if any of The Mouth Peice had tried one of these instruments. What were your thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

This is no help whatsoever I know, but I noticed one for sale at John Packers recently. I was quite interested / intrigued but I can't find any information anywhere on the 'net about these flugels. Does any one know if they are any good? has anyone even got a picture fo one?

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. WoodenFlugel

Thanks for posting that up mate....looks kinda nice. very similar (in layout) to the Kanstal we have at Wigston (but with pretty engraving on the bell). Not too sure about the lump of wood on the trigger - looks a bit like a beer tap to me....;)

Anyway, seriously...has anyone here played one? How does it sound? What's the tuning like? Does it blow freely?

It certainly looks interesting to me but I don't know if there is a UK supplier any ideas...?

(sorry for all the questions but I'm feeling inquisitive tonight...;) )

5. cjconnor24

cjconnor24 Member

Hi there,

i must admit, i'v never played a conn flugel,im currently playing a bach strad (really old) and to be honest you cant beat it the tone and flexibility of the instrument is unbelieveable. obviously they are pretty expensive, but even the one im playing is allot older than i am and the sound is still magnificent! however, im not that experienced and if there are people out there who say the conn are better i am totally open minded and willing try nething!!!

Cheers
    Chris :tup

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

lol ... I thought it was a protective cover!

7. WoodenFlugel

Yeah I know what you mean there. I currently play in a Bach Strad and while the odd note's tuning isn't great (although that might be due to the player...:oops: ) I haven't played on another flugel that is as good all round (ie as a compromise between sound, tuning, ease of blowing etc etc).

Recently I had a tootle on FlugalGals brand new Cortois and it seemed very, very good - although I'd like to spend a bit more time playing one before I decided. The Eclipse and Taylor Flugels look fantastic too and I really wish I had the money to make a decision as to which one I would buy as I'm sure both are superb instruments.

I'm just soirt of curious as to how the Conn flugel sounds and whether is "fits" in a Brass Band set-up.

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

In sharp contrast to the others who have posted here, I have actually played one, so I can speak from personal experience, rather than guesswork or recommending what I play already over something I have no knowledge of.

The Conn V1 flugel is the nicest "of the shelf" flugel I have yet played. The intonation was very impressive ( a flugel with a reliable A, B and C above the stave!). The tone was as mellow as any I have come across (with one exception, which I will come to shortly) and if I was looking for a flugle from a regular music shop, this would be at the top of my list.
    The wooden trigger may look a bit peculiar compared to many instruments, but the feel is very nice.

However. I have also played the Eclipse flugels and they are simply in another league. NOTHING comes close to them. In the next few months I am ordering a copper bell Eclipse, simply the sexiest sounding flugel I have ever played. Intonation was absolutely perfect, the tone didn't change through the range, it is simply the best available.

If I was in the market for a regularly priced, of the shelf, flugel - I would own a V1.
    I am looking for the best, so I am getting a custom made Eclipse (with a price tag that matches).

9. Hollso

Hollso Member

Thanks for your help, Mike. Mum's getting more and more convinced that this Conn. Vintage is a definate bargin on ebay. She's been negotiating with the seller too!

We've had a blow of the Bach Strad flugel (Not sure of the model, though) and we didn't find it the best. Everyone we've spoken to, (including this seller on ebay) say the Jupiters are not worth buying. (peice of brass junk, I think someone said).

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

ssssssh! (others might get to know know)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Flugel
    QUOTE=Hollso
    one
    Vintage
    :D
  12. Hollso

Hollso Member

*looks about shiftily*
    Did I mention that the, uh, lot is in Australia. Yes, thats it. Postage from Australia, goodness it's a lot.

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and flat-pack too! :rolleyes: (Webster superglue included in offer though!)

14. cjconnor24

cjconnor24 Member

i think people are just offering opinions and experience about different instruments:tup

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

16. Hollso

Hollso Member

Yes, that is our doing! We got it for 860 ish, with postage and three mouthpieces. Mother was talking on my phone to him for so long the batteries died. We're also going to be selling our piano to get more cash.
    If I can find this thread when the Vintage arrives, I'll let you all know how it is!

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Well done for what buying what looks like a pristine instrument! I take it the additional costs were for the mouthpieces. Noticed that the seller also has interests in needlework (from his ebay feedback history) ... maybe that was what caused the pin-sized dent in the bell! :wink:

18. Hollso

Hollso Member

Heh heh, I hadn't noticed that.

Aye, the p&p was £22, each mouth peice would be over £25 each. One of which was described as turbo charging the instrument! A G66FD, which sounds like a motorbike by the name... A Bob Reeves 41F, and a Conn 3FL.

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is it the photographs or me? Is the valve action shorter than usual? :confused:

20. Hollso

Hollso Member

Hmm, thats a good point. I hadn't noticed that. It could just be the way it's rested against the top of the case... But then again, it's taken down on it. I better not mention this to mum or things will get all hecktick and worried at this end!!

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Flugel
    QUOTE=Hollso
    one
    Vintage
    :D