New Flugel signing at Black Dyke

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smaca

smaca Active Member

Ex top bands,bottom bands, in-between bands----who cares where you,ve been and what you would say to anyones face(a bet you sleep with the light out your that tough!)

How this impacts you, your well being, your own circumstances I have no idea. Maybe its just an ego thing. I personally do not know Alex Kerwin, apart from hearing her play. What a fantastic player. I also have the experience of bringing up 3 kids, and when they were young circumstances changed sometimes weekly(schools, babysitters, health issues) and banding decisions made at a set time sometimes changed quickly. So what? What Alex Kerwin decides to do in her life, or even you and I for that matter makes absolutely no difference to any of us,so why all the smart comments?

As a bandsman, a brass band enthusiast, and lover of brass music, I am delighted that Black Dyke as a band are maintaining the standards set 150 years ago by recruiting the best players. Why should good music making be criticised?

2. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

All those jealous people!

Good one Alex, enjoy!

3. Lassonbass

Lassonbass New Member

Don't think it's a matter of being jealous! I think people feel a little miffed about having been led a merry dance.

While I fully support parents in their need to focus their primary priorities around meeting their children's needs, I have an issue when this retrospectively 'appears' to have been used as a reason to justify letting a band down.

At the end of the day, the move to Black Dyke has been well known since only a couple of weeks after the resignation from YBS. It's been one of the worst kept secrets in recent banding.

While I think it's really important that players of Alex's quality are not lost to banding at the top level, I feel that games may have been played here for the sake of appearances.

4. Dago

Dago Member

Stick to the lower sections - you just haven't a clue!

5. Dago

Dago Member

At last!

6. eanto

eanto Member

I suppose if you have enough talent & ability and are given the opportunity to play in the best brass band in the world..... No brainer, you'll probably move heaven and earth to make it happen. Good luck to her.

In retrospect, maybe only a short official/public announcement should have been published for the YBS departure? Too late now though!

7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Congratulations on your new appointment Alex.

:tup

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Am I allowed an opinon on this? ;)

Firstly - well done Alex and best of luck with your new band.

Secondly - why such an issue over this anouncement? Every year we see announcements to the effect of high-profile player a leaving high-profile band x to "concentrate on work commitments" or "spend more time with the family" or whatever, only for the same player to poll up at a different equally high-profile and busy band a month or so later. Nothing is usually said here or anywhere else, and I personally don't have any issue with it who ever high-profile player a happens to be. It seems a bit odd to me to single this one out....

9. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Couldn't agree more.

I think you exaggerate! ;) It was well known a couple of weeks before she resigned. And I agree it does 'appear' that a band was let down.

For those who may have forgotten AK's reasons for leaving YBS........

And to think I actually apologised when I was told the true story from the horse's mouth.

Maybe I'll have to apologise again when I'm told the true facts about what appears to be a sudden u-turn - even if it takes another 10 miles driving to make the turn.

The only thing I appear to have been guilty of is getting the instrument wrong ....... or did I ......maybe that's another one for conspiracy theorists on this site! :eek:

Rosolino

10. Moy

Moy Active Member

This kinda reminds me why I stopped coming onto TMP

11. zak

zak Member

Could not agree more!! :clap:

Unfortunately jealousy no matter what others may say, and people with hidden unfinished agendas hiding behind made up names make it so easy and somewhat cowardly to throw insults at people on a virtual forum. Must be so brave to throw insults etc behind a pc annonymously!!

Perhaps an a valid arguement against annonymity?:confused:

Cheers

12. Just respect her decision, its no-one else's business!!!

Why is her business made everyone else's?

This post should be restricted to congratulations only - maybe the Black Dyke rehearsal nights are on different days or something, circumstances change - and anyone would jump at the opportunity to play in such a good band.
    Its most cornet players dream to drop their cornet for a flugal with any band - I know they all secretly want this :p!!! Hehe, they all fancy themselves on flugal at some stage.

Alex suits Dyke fantastically, what a great signing. Good on her

13. helen_euph

helen_euph Member

Exactly! :clap: No one else's business - her's and Simon's, I'm sure she has her (valid) reasons and its none of our business.

We should just be wishing her good luck, and John Doyle too.

Ta, Helen

14. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Congratulations Alex.

FPTW.

Not a made up name - not a jazzer then Shaun.

Plenty of anonymous posters on here - might not be so interesting without us?

15. barrytone

barrytone Member

Sorry but I prefer people to be straight, it's just the way I am. When I have left bands, I have told them why. I left a band that needed 100% commitment and because of family circumstances, I couldn't do it. I left another because I didn't agree with getting rid of the MD and again I was clear why I was going.

I think the insinuation is that the reason for leaving YBS isn't accurate given that Dyke are further away and a busier band. Perhaps the announcement about the YBS departure could have been briefer and just stated that Alex was leaving without going into too much detail? Hindsight, as they say, is a wonderful thing!

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Exactly.
    What Alex decides to do is no-ones business but her own. Everyones circumstances change, maybe hers did, maybe they didn't, maybe she did know about the Dyke position before the move, maybe she didn't. Who cares?? All players leave bands at some time, and most rejoin elsewhere, big deal. I'm damn sure if a band like Dyke came along and offered me a spot and I had Alex's talent I'd jump at it (better watch myself here, I'm getting near to discussing the Championship section and never having been registered there I'm obviously not allowed to comment directly on it or the "you're not a championship section player, shut your mouth" brigade will be on me :-? ).
    No offence intended to YBS, they're a fine band and have been up there with the best in their time, but right now, they're no Dyke. I know which bands uniform I'd rather be pulling on if I was a player of Alexs stature. At the end of the day it's her business and no-one but her actually knows the facts. Sure you can speculate, and sure your speculation may have panned out to appear to have been somewhere near the mark, but it was just that, speculation. Well done to her.

17. zak

zak Member

No not a jazzer. Ok my name is Shaun Hudson what's your full name? You can see who I now play with/have done so who do you play with? You obviously do have a brass band background so let's all hear it!

Are you Frank rosolino back from the dead then???? ;) (not a philistine you know)!

I just think that it's getting really negative and back biting on this site and annonymity adds to it in my opinion.

If I know you (or who knows could even play in the same band as you) then pm me if you are scared of going public to enlighten my obvious insular brain ;)

Cheers

Ps... by the way I'm not saying I agree or disagree with comments but annonymity is poor when throwing mud!!! :)

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008
  18. zak

zak Member

And all this after you have recently left YBS too rosolino!!! :biggrin:

Ps... how are the running semis (breves!) going??

19. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Are you a woman??....just a hunch the way you have written your post...I have absolutely nothing against Alex at all and it doesnt affect me her decision to change her mind and travel further and do more jobs and no doubt she is a good player...and Black Dyke are a great band to play for....My point was all the rubbish she spun to Ybs about family and travelling when it was obviously about the money!!!! and if you think any different then you need your head looking at...and as for smart comments...no I like the light off in bed actually...So instead of calling me names or trying to put me down...come up with a valid reason why she did it?....in your opinion of course...

20. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Not jealous Laura just stating what I believe...you know me say it like it is :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.