New Flugel signing at Black Dyke

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[imgleft]http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/alexk_bd.jpg[/imgleft]Black Dyke Band sign Alex Kerwin on Flugel Horn

Black Dyke Band is pleased to announce that Alex Kerwin has joined the band on Flugel Horn with immediate effect.

Alex was brought up in the heart of the brass band world in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. She began playing the cornet at the age of seven. Her teachers included Phillip McCann and James Shepherd.

At the age of 17 she was appointed principal cornet of Carlton Main Frickley and at the age of 18 became the first female member of James Shepherd Versatile Brass, this is where she met her future husband, Simon Kerwin. She has also played with CWS Glasgow and YBS as well as being in demand across Europe and Worldwide as a guest artiste.

Since the age of 19 Alex has lived in Norway, Scotland and New Zealand, where she has amassed several trophies, including the Best Soloist Prize in the Elite section at Siddis Brass 1996, Best Instrumentalist at the New Zealand National Championships, Best Soloist at New Zealand Band of the Year, Best Soloist at Brass in Concert 2003 on soprano cornet and also being crowned British Open Solo Champion in 2003 on Bb cornet.

Dr Nicholas Childs, Director of Music at Black Dyke said "I am delighted to welcome Alex to Black Dyke, as a full time member of the band; she is an extremely talented instrumentalist who I am sure will establish herself as one of our leading soloists."

Alex Kerwin said "It is the pinnacle of my dreams to be appointed flugel soloist with Black Dyke. Since playing on soprano with Black Dyke in 2004 I have forged a strong friendship with the band and I am looking forward to a long and fruitful time here. It is an honour."

Mike Shenton
    Secretary
    7th April 2008

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Alex Kerwin
    Nicholas Childs
    Black Dyke Band
    Flugel Horn
    imgleft
  3. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

Fab signing for Black Dyke, is Queensbury nearer to Notts than Slawit then? ;-)

4. Dago

Dago Member

Wondered that myself? And surely Dyke are busier than YBS! It's certainly a puzzler????

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

They are certainly busier than YBS from hearing about their Schedule!

6. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Irrespective of where the bandroom is or how busy they are compared to other bands, the comments above smack of having something to say but not the balls to say it.

Hope it works out for you Alex and good luck in the future!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  7. Dago

Dago Member

Sorry, this is nothern business!

8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

So sorry to have imposed, only did it because it was posted on the world wide web! Did not realise for the first w sttod for West Yorkshire ;)

9. zak

zak Member

All the best Alex. :tup

10. Moy

Moy Active Member

Good luck Alex and make sure Sandy behaves himself ;)

Nice to see more females in Dyke now - we don't quite rule yet :rolleyes:

11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Yes, well done Alex.

Moys comment does make you wonder though why some bands stick to tradition and effectively rule themselves out of signing half the available population of players.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Alex Kerwin
    Nicholas Childs
    Black Dyke Band
    Flugel Horn
    imgleft
  13. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Best wishes Alex. Hope it all works splendidly for you!
    xx

14. sophunk

sophunk Member

Wish I was as talented to chop and change between b flat sop flugel and get position in a top band, hats off to you Alex

15. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

16. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

IMHO......it reeks of a totally mercanary bandsperson....(I'll leave YBS because of the travelling and my kids future....But if a band that is further away offers more money I'll go there)..So I'll just send my note of congratulations...Well done...
    This is my own personal opinion and I am led to believe I am allowed to state it on this site..

17. zak

zak Member

You most certainly do have the freedom of speech but perhaps putting your actual name at the bottom of your personal attack on someone instead of hiding behind a made up name might show you have the **lls to stand by your opinions outside this virtual world.

That's my own personal opinion(and my name is on this post) ;)

Cheers

18. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

My name is Alan Ball ....ex number of top bands 1st horn player...ex Dyke Ex fodens not really bothered who knows Who I am....like I said it is my opinion...I know her husband Simon and if I saw them I would say it to their face......now who are you???????? never heard of you...

19. zak

zak Member

Thats good then as I can't say I have ever heard of you also ;)

Thanks for the name btw :clap:

20. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

The people that matter to me know who I am.....probably the best first horn player that you have never heard of....ask...

21. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

<modspeak>

I think that's enough about qualifications to have an opinion, and who's heard of who. Any further off-topic posts will be summarily deleted.

</modspeak>

<personal opinion>

It does seem a bit disingenuous to leave a band with a public announcement about your children and needing more time, and then three months later take a position with seemingly the same (or greater) requirements on your time.

</personal opinion>

22. zak

zak Member

Ermmm ... no, don't think I will ask,not bothered really, it's good that everyone now knows the person behind the postings IMHO tho, more of a level playing field n all that ;)

Maybe I might bump into you at some contest

Cheers :tup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.