New European rules?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Walterplinge, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Walterplinge

Walterplinge New Member

Heard on the Norwegian grapevine over the weekend that the organisers of the European are considering allowing the use of three substitute players DURING the performances.
    You could perhaps take off a baritone and add an extra bass player for more "oomph" in that final climax or maybe replace a soloist or two if they are having an off day.
    Could be interesting.
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

That sounds ludicrous! :eek:
  3. Steve

Steve Active Member

Sounds excellent, I knew being a jack of all trades would pay off one day. Any competing bands need a horn/bari/euph/trom/bass/triangle squad member?

Actually its one of the daftest Ideas I've ever heard. Bands struggle for players at the best of times so we will give the creme de la creme and extra 3 each for one contest a year?!
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

It's not April the 1st is it?
  5. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

how about added time multiball while the judges write results!

I think the european already allows up to 35 players per band doesn't it?
  6. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Substitutes in banding?! :biggrin:

But why would you take off a Baritone when seeking more oomph??!?!?!?!?!?! :mad:

No doubt the bands will need about 20 Percussion players soon anyway... ;)
  7. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

hello friends,
    i think this could be high jinks from my old mate wally. we used to play together in flockton old comrades, and i can tell you readers, he really is a card!
    however, i can tell you readers if he is serious, it could have big implications. i can only imagine a scene where a tuba player is a little off colour, and it only would take one of the cornet players a mere second to run round the back and insert his part. or a flugal or baritone player quickly going down onto horn half way through a contest! the only saving grace is that trombone players would be difficult to assist, what with most brass players not understanding their peculiar slide positions. i await with interest an official statement.

thank you-goodnight

uncle eric
  8. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Were you once a script writer for the 'Carry on ...' films?

9. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

dear mr meister, or igg,

i am affronted and also baffled by your......your......accusation! the lovely danish couple down the road mr and mrs sivjugs pointed me in the direction of your reply, and after i read it i said to her, 'may, i said, may and thrice may (just while the readers think and catch up...) i am affronted and baffled by iggs.......iggs........accusation.

so no. i wasn't

uncle eric
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Utter Crazy!!!!:confused: :eek:
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Perhaps if, choosing a random possibility, a sop player didn't tighten their shank enough & they missed a note, they could be sacked and replaced mid piece rather than having to wait till after the bus journey home.....

How about a system of yellow and red cards and a "sin bin" for players that split notes in their solos???

Wow - the possibilities are endless.
  12. Steve

Steve Active Member

Can you have a replacement conductor just incase half way through the band management decide s/he isnt doing well enough and should be sacked?
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- bring the subs on for players who cannot get their parts right on the day. It would save writing them in other parts! ;)
  14. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Dear Uncle Eric

My apologies if I upset you although I never intended to make any accusations. I hope May was not too offended (was she any relation to Gloria in 'Brassed Off' perchance?).

Hope the missus didn't choke on her Hob-Nob either!

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

At one time we had a bit of "business" during "Sea-songs" at our Last Night of the Proms concerts: the euph player (or sometimes two of them) would be grumblnig about over-running, & receive a yellow card earlier in the programme; during "Sea-songs" he'd get another yellow plus a red, sending him off, so he was free to re-enter from the back of the hall for the cadenza (suitably extended and extemporised).