New Ensemble in Auckland, NZ

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nethers, Sep 9, 2009.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

As a currently 'unemployed' bandsman I am working alongside the Mrs (Carolyn Ramsbottom) to form a new brass ensemble in Auckland of about 8-10 players.

We did this (well, Carolyn did) very successfully in the UK under the banner of 'Octobrassy', featuring players from B&R and Sellers etc it was a good sounding group.

We have the music here in Auckland with us and are looking to ressurect the ensemble!

We have a few interested peeps from among Auckland's better brass players and some more to ask, but we're looking for any decent players and performers in the area who might be interested. Post below or PM please.

We did some easy cheesy music very well (Evergreen, Swing Low) and in an entertaining way and also had some more serious stuff in the repertoire (Folk Festival, some original compositions etc).

We think Auckland can handle another brass ensemble, and we'd be working to be the best, not just another brass band :)

Gigs would be primarily for fun, but where the group gets paid we'll try to cover expenses and a drink after.

Expressions of interest are welcome, hopefully in the next few weeks we'll choose a venue and date to have a go at it. Beer may well be involved.

Previous members of Octobrassy welcome! Must pay your own travelling expenses :p
  2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Pity your not in Brisbane, I'd be in it if you were.
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's a bit of a commute for me as well, otherwise I was so there....

Octobrassy ruled. I used to write stuff I was sure nobody could play and you guys would laser it out after one look. If you can recreate that atmosphere and ethic over there you'll go a long way!

Good luck with the project. Keep it real....
  4. nethers

nethers Active Member

Fo' sho'! <gang sign>
  5. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Bit far to commute every week mind Marc, but at least there are no more early Tuesday morning rehearsals!!!

Enjoy the music and don't lose whilst your over there :p
  6. Fendall

Fendall Member

So if there's ten, is it called "Decobrassy". Perhaps it should be restricted to six players ;)
  7. nethers

nethers Active Member

Hexobrassy? :p
  8. Fendall

Fendall Member

Yes Marc, of course we've all heard of "Hextets"?
  9. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

We had been considering names idly and thought of 'whatet'. Of course, that could cause confusion in the Maori population if it were to be misread - fat-tet! ;)
  10. Thirteen Ball

You could always be Jafa Brass?

I believe that's the correct slang term (and please correct me if not...) for an Aucklander - somewhat akin to 'Geordie' for a resident of Newcastle or 'Cockney' for certain areas of london.
  11. nethers

nethers Active Member

Could be, show's up what I know :p I guess we don't meet many non-Aucklanders and if we did we'd probably think they were talking about the tasty biscuit/cake.

Sadly, from a marketing perspective we'll probably better off getting a few different business cards made:

'Wedding Brass'
    'Barmitzvah Brass'
    'Bought a New Car Brass'
    'Old Folks Home Brass'
  12. Frugel

Frugel New Member

Hmmm. Seems like every Auckland band has vacancies at the moment, and you want to create another one??? It's hard to be unemployed in this city, man you must have burned some bridges.
  13. nethers

nethers Active Member

I prefer to think that it was other people burning the bridges :p

And no it won't be a band, a small ensemble with very different aims and goals. And there are loads of good players round Auckland (I bump in to more each day) but not all of them want to play in an A-grade band.
  14. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I'm sure that when Carolyn was over in England a couple of months back she was just as enthusiastic to set up an ensemble just as Marc was, and the way the ensemble worked here is that everyone had an equal input in what happened with the ensemble but myself and Carolyn did the running around on the organising front. I'm sure thats what is planned for the new ensemble as the format worked well before. It does make a refreshing change to a brass band as you are able to try out new music and arrangements and even different seating formats.

Enjoy guys.
  15. Tubamatic

Tubamatic New Member

i saw Octobrassy perform and they were proper good. good luck for recreating it peeps.:tup
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  16. nethers

nethers Active Member

Thanks guys, much love :D
  17. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Yes they do have lots of vacancies but none on trombone funnily enough!
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  18. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Mods, I'm a bit confused. Post #15 quotes a post that appears to have been removed. If it's OK to quote the post, why remove it? Or am I missing something :confused:
  19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ooops! Looks like I missed that one when pruning the thread. Thanks for pointing it out Geoff, its now sorted. ;)
  20. Thirteen Ball

Most bands in Yorkshire are short of players -where there are a sight more bands than in Auckland - yet several very good players and conductors remain 'unemployed.'

- Some are on a break from playing.

- Some don't want to compete so are just looking to play for fun.

- Some are sick of transparent and needlessly provocative comments like this one.

Since your post-count is 2 and you have nothing down to identify yourself, nor your playing experience for fear of giving away a personal interest in the issue - I'll assume you are on one side of the aforementioned 'burned bridges' and have created an account for this purpose alone.

If you have a legitimate point to raise, please at least have the dignity to do so in plain view, as yourself rather than throwing hand-grenades from the shelter of anonymity.

PS: If every Auckland band has vacancies, shouldn't they be looking at why that's the case?
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009