New email scam

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by michellegarbutt, Jul 1, 2008.

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Just want to warn everyone I've recieved an email trying to scam me and it's not one I've had before (long lost relatives dying abroad or in war zones etc) This one on the face of it looks quite genuine. It is supposedly from HM Revenue and Customs and tells me I'm entitled to £188 tax refund from last year. I just have to fill in a form to get it and it gives a link. However no telephone numbers or website address given which made me suspicious. When I rang the tax office they confirmed it hadn't come from them. So just thought I'd warn you all
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would always treat unexpected emails with suspicion, especially when you have secure access to things like financial detail. One site that is useful in keeping you up to date about phishing scams is

- was the email something like this?
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I suppose the other question to ask yourself is when did I give my email address to the HMR&C&. How often do you get requests from banks which you're not a customer of asking for similar details - however when you get one from what purports to come from your own bank it always seems a little more believable - human nature to believe it and thats what these scammers play on. I always think there should be a site that would beat them at their own game and just bombard them with junk email to crash their site.
  4. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Yes - we've had the same one at work today.
    Remember - if it's too good to be true - it usually isn't true.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The bottom line is to take NO chances, regardless of how convincing these emails may seem. I recently 'received' an email from my bank telling me of a new credit card statement available to view via my online portfolio. The fact that I don't have a credit card with them was strange enough so I checked to see that no-one tried to open one in my name. Online helpdesk found this one particularly strange as it was so close to the official communication (i.e., it asked me to log on normally).
  6. glidng_slide

glidng_slide Member

I agree with Tubafran, you have to think at what point did you fill a form in to inform the tax man what your email address is, I suspect you have never done this. I know I have never provided that information and I submit a tax return every year.
    I wouldnt expect correspondance from any government body by email as quite often their email is locked down for internal use only and they issue standard letters using a 3rd party print provider usually from a location far away from where the operator is located. One press of a button and your letter is added to the end of a print queue. This is similar to how banks operate unless you subscribe to receive email usually connected to internet banking. Halifax send me letters embedded in my internet banking and provide a general email to me to inform me there is a communication waiting for me.

I suspect if the tax man wants to give you some money back they already have all the details they need for you and a nice cheque will drop through the door, however I expect Mr Brown will be trying to keep as much as he can for himself :-(
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I suspect if the tax man owes you money he'll wait for you to contact him lol.
  8. michellegarbutt

About 3 months ago when I applied for a job there. Although I realise most people wouldn't have given their email addresses in my case I had. However, as I've already mentioned I didn't fall for it but as it's a bit different from the normal spam emails I get I just wanted to warn others
  9. NeilW

NeilW Member

Email address is on this year's electronic form from what I remember of putting (some!) stuff into it the other night... They've changed it around a lot this year (took me a little while to tell it I had an employer!)

But overall, I agree - its a scam. What was the subject line - I can't see anything obviously that is it in my spam traps....

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!"

10. michellegarbutt

It purported to come from HM Revenue and Customs and the subject line was HM Revenue & Customs Notification - Tax refund.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- more evidence of a scam needed? Try here or even on the HM R&C site here.
  12. NeilW

NeilW Member

Haven't seen the one from HM R&C in the last week.

But I did get one that was too new for my spamtrap to spot from "Alliance-Leicester Commercial Bank" with the subject "Latest News." this morning - it contained a link to a random place purporting to be "Alliance & Leicester Commercial Bank authentication process.". Not a good idea to click the link :)

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Not wishing to post the same thing but yes I got that one this morning too - and the reason I know its a spam is I'm not in the Alliance & Leicester. These always come with everymore contrived and sometimes plausable reasons for you to click the link to the dodgy site.

As I've probably said before it most work or these wouldnt still be sent out - only need to hook one to two and you could be in the money - or out of it, if you get what I mean.
  14. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I was offered £245.77 today by these people. Thank you for the warning Michelle