New eBay AuctionAds and eBay Listings on tMP....

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 13, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You may have noticed some new advertisements appeared on tMP over the last few days, these are an interesting way for us to try to recoup some of our ever increasing costs of running tMP. They work by eBay paying tMP a small % of their fees from any 'winning bid' on an auction, as a result of someone from here seeing an item, then clicking on it and subsequently winning the auction.

So, if you see something you want to purchase, please click on one of the ads; then if you win the auction tMP receives a % of the eBay fees. No increase in costs to the seller or payee, just eBay paying some of its fee out to those publishers who deliver eBay adverts.

It's a win-win situation, as eBay wins by obtaining more page impressions and delivery of adverts for its sellers, and tMP wins by generating small amounts of revenue off any members winning auctions. The bigger the auction item won - the more % we gain. So, please do consider helping if you are looking to purchase something from eBay and you see it on one of the ads on tMP.

The system is still being developed, and when you click on an ad users outside the US will be taken to a list of matching items, whereas users within the US will be taken directly to the specific auction. I am one of a growing number of publishers putting pressure on the coders to enable this functionality for users outside the US.

Also - this is important: please also feel free to post your auction items on tMP, or even if you see an auction on eBay that you feel tMP'ers would be interested in then please also post a direct link to that item too. There's absolutely no effect on the purchase price nor to the sellers commission/fee, but this will significantly help tMP as eBay pay tMP (as a publisher of their ads) - a small % of their fees. So this works for any of the ads you see on the tMP pages, or for any eBay auctions you see listed on tMP too!

Here is a link to a tMP How-To that explains how to add an eBay auction link to a tMP page.

So, please do help us if you can - we're very grateful. Oh, and don't forget - there's still always tMP sponsorship and tMP supporter subscriptions if you feel we do a good job, and that we're worthy of your support.

Many thanks all.

2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I can understand your reasons for do the deal with ebay and certainly wouldn't begrudge you a bit more revenue for the site, but I personally find the ads quite irritating and distracting.

3. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

Does this mean that if someone is about to bid on an item (regardless of whether or not it might be of interest to other members) it would benefit tMP for them to put a link and then follow that link prior to placing their bid?? Also would tMP benefit from buy-it-now items or does it relate to auctions only??

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I have no problem with the ads on the site. Anything that helps raise money to keep this forum going is fine by me. I do find the occasional popups saying something like "the action timed out because it couldn't connect to auctionads" a little annoying though. :( Luckily, these don't seem to happen often.

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

OK I can see that. Would you be prepared to pay for an advert free tMP then?

6. TheMusicMan

I am considering setting up a system whereby tMP Supporters do not get to see any of these 'irritating and distracting' ads Duncan. Apologies if this sounds curt, but I have paid out many thousands of pounds over the years for what you get to use freely, and without charge. To have a simple means of generating a small amount of revenue, that costs nothing additionally to eBay sellers or purchasers is a good idea to me.

Absolutely BandTaxi - that's exactly the way this works. If you see an item on eBay that you feel would benefit tMP'ers to see and perhaps bid on. If someone from tMP clicks on that link and then wins the auction... tMP receives a small % of the eBay fee. Cool eh!

Thanks for the support DaveR... much appreciated.

@All:
    I will continue to personally fund and financially support tMP for as long as it is there, I have no problem with this at all. I am astonished at how widespread it has become over these last 4 years. Please don't begrudge me making attempts to generate some revenue from the site. I have no intention to make the tMP fully commercial, moreover I am just tying to generate small amounts of revenue to cover the ever increasing costs. The dedicated server alone has cost me over $1,500, plus the monthly Server Administration fee I have to pay. Legal costs last year were in excess of £600... accounting costs, support costs, license costs.... et al. The list continues.

Please do help if you think it is a good site, and you feel it does a good job... only if you want to of course.

Finally - to clarify - everything you see on tMP right now that is free, will always be free. I am only after voluntary support and trying to generate small revenue from other advertising means. Thanks for your understanding.

7. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

At the risk of looking a little silly here if it's blindingly obvious.........

How and where would the link need to be posted?? not that I have anything at the moment but would be useful to know for future reference. Thanks

8. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

I am think of putting somthing on ebay but don't no how to use it lol Also how much should i ask for B&H 400 gold euph 3 vavled with gig bag no dents???

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

As I said, I understand your reasons and believe it is good for the site and good for you! I simply just find that the busier a site is, the less I can see. I tend to get blinded by too much information! Not a criticism, John!;)

10. TheMusicMan

Ok thanks for the clarification. Point taken... apologies if I misunderstood.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    eBay
    I
    tMP
    eBay AuctionAds
    eBay Listings
  12. TheMusicMan

Nope, not a daft question at all. In fact I will set up a little tutorial as to how to do this and post on here a little later if that's OK. Give me a few hours as I am in Johannesburg and just out of a meeting. Need to get back to hotel and prepare this for you, but need to get to mall first as I had my Nikon Coolpix camera stolen from inside... yes INSIDE, my suitcase.

See above post :) Not too sure of current asking price though sorry.

Maybe someone else can answer that one for Matt...?

13. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Just a thought, I know tMP has the classified advert forum but would there be scope for an 'ebay only' thread. I am sure people on tMP sell vast amounts of stuff through EBAY and a thread where all the links could go so people could browse and then click through to bid, would obviously support the site.

Our band (Gresley Colliery) have used John since May 2006 for hosting our website. We remain impressed not only by the service but also by the fact that you can PM John anytime and ring him, he will always help and does so with a smile AND with a no nonsense approach. I can recommend John for any band's hosting.

14. Di

Di Active Member

If we had an "ebay only" thread, is it worth making that two threads? One for musical instruments and musical related and one for "any other". I know these would be outside the norm for tMP, BUT people do sell more than just instruments, and any income is income. :)

15. TheMusicMan

Di mentioned this to me a few days ago Pete, wasn't sure then but am thinking she was right. (but don't tell her that fps OK)

16. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Absolutely - and my commission for this fine idea is only 60% of all proceeds made via this method!:biggrin:

17. TheMusicMan

You'll be rich in no time.... 60% of my 30% off the 2.5% eBay fees eh :)

18. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Maybe not then :biggrin:

19. TheMusicMan

But... every penny helps :)

20. TheMusicMan

21. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Looks like these ads are not working today. In IE I get an "Internet Exporer cannot display this webpage" error, and far more annoyingly (I don't use IE!) in Firefox I get a popup saying this page contains no data. Is there anyway to script a test to see if they are working, and if not, to disable them? A simple perl script should do the trick, if the forum software will integrate with the script.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    eBay
    I
    tMP
    eBay AuctionAds
    eBay Listings