New Dyke Film Music CD

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alibaba, Jan 27, 2009.

1. alibaba

alibaba Member

I have just noticed this new CD on WOB.
    My eyes can't quite make out the logo but is it Obrasso??

Please god. NO!!! :(

The last 2 film CD's by dyke and Obrasso were blo*dy awful and are the least played out of my healthy CD collection.

I am sure they were high up on a list of the worst band CD's ever made as well somewhere. ( 4barsrest? may have dreamt that though...)

Shame, cos this listing on the new CD seems half decent

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Looks like it.
  3. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

DO these CDs really help to sell brass music? Isn't that what the demo CDs are for? Or is this sort of CD a byproduct of making that demo CD?
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There's no doubt that the prime purpose of these releases from Obrasso is to push their publications. If they were really concerned about producing a quality release that would be really attractive to the cd-buying public then they would put a little more effort into the documentation and presentation, which generally consists of little more than a track listing and brief biographical note on the performers.

The pity of it is that some of them do actually include some excellent playing - the Childs father/son pairing is one that springs to mind - which may end up being dismissed out of hand by some potential purchasers.
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

This is nothing new. Years ago, the short-lived 210 record label acted as a promotional vehicle for its owner's (R Smith & Co) publications. Nothing particularly wrong with this idea - nobody is forced to buy the CDs, after all.
  6. I'm sure it pays off for all parties involved...
  7. alks

alks Member

Actually i quite enjoyed the Movie hits vol 1 cd that i bought and found it far more suited to lower section banding and hense probably one of the more listened to cd's in my collection.

Sadly most of the so called 'top' cd's are just not relavent to lower section bands as they cannot go and play them in practice(although they are quite good) Litening to music that is more suited to your level of banding played by a top band is very useful not only as a taster cd for music choice but also as you know they are played by a top band.

8. Veri

Veri Member

It was good, but there was very poor attention to quality - the track numbers on the CD didn't match the numbers given on the case!