New Drive Needed for Netbook

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Bass Trumpet, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hello all,

I'm after a new solid state drive for my Asus EEE 900 Netbook. It's a mini PCI-e drive and it's a 16GB one I'm after. Sadly, the first Netbooks didn't allow for such things as proper hard drives so it has to be the little ssd that it came with. Failing that I might try and run it from a memory stick, if I've got all day!

I've seen bigger drives available for silly money (64GB for £100+) but I just want to replace the old one.

Any advice on where to get one from is much appreciated. Failing that, if anybody has an old Asus EEE 900/901 they want rid of for parts, let me know.

Thanks all!
  2. cplcharisma

cplcharisma New Member

Mod Edit: No need. Warned!
  3. winterman

winterman Member

4. Bass Trumpet

Many thanks, but sadly the Asus is not designed for a standard 2.5" laptop drive. The EEE uses a PCI-e flat card-type drive, not dissimilar to a stick of RAM. If I known this at the time, I might not have bought it. My other Netbook takes a standard drive, but the EEE has to be different!
  5. winterman

winterman Member

Ah, the earlier versions of the EEE 900 had the adapter cable installed (look just under the PCI-e card for a loose flat cable), if yours has that then you can fit a standard 2.5" drive in sideways and just hook it up to that connector (there is an adapter around for the newer versions too but don't know how well they work).

I'm always doing the rounds for various bits anyway so if I stumble across one I'll let you know :)
  6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Not sure about Netbooks/PCI-e cards so slightly off topic, but I used Novatech whilst building my desktop pc and I found them to be good value with excellent customer service. Their forum was also invaluable. I would second Winterman's recommendation for general IT needs.
  7. Bass Trumpet

Thanks for that, but sadly no adapter cable or anywhere in which to plug one! There are a couple of different 900's out there; this is the one with the small access panel on the back, so very little room to move around. There is one out there that has a bit more room and could quite possibly fit a standard 2.5" HDD, but mine's not it :(

Hey ho, life goes on. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a new SSD. I've currently got the old girl running on Ubuntu Netbook, so there is less strain than running Windows and I can preserve the SSD a little longer.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, apart from the troll....