New Day dawns at EYMS!

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by eymsbrassband, Aug 3, 2010.

1. eymsbrassband

eymsbrassband Member

The East Yorkshire Motor Services Band are delighted to announce that their vacant Principal Cornet Chair has been filled. Former Principal Cornet Neil Day has returned to the Band after several months playing at the Black Dyke Band. Neil – a very experienced and talented player – is the first of several players to sign for the Band over the coming weeks.

The Band would like to pay tribute to the two players that have stepped into the breach to cover this all-important seat. Firstly, former Principal Cornet Steve Rudhall flew back from New Zealand to play at the 2010 Area Championships in Darlington. Whilst the result didn’t match the expectations of the Band, the commitment demonstrated by Steve – not only in making the journey – but the devotion to practice and rehearsal whilst here, was a demonstration of the professional approach that Steve had shown previously whilst a member of the Band.

Repiano Cornet player Kirsty Fox was press-ganged intomoving forward onto the hot seat for the 2010 Spring Festival, and the Band's summer concert series. Although this was not initially to Kirsty's liking, she has grown into the role, impressing both the Band and audiences alike. A listener at our recent concert in Scunthorpe took the time to write: "I travel many miles a year attending brass band concerts throughout the area, and your band is at least as good as any I have listened to in a long time. I was particulary impressed by your principal cornet player, who must surely be one of the best in the area! She was lovely to listen to!"

Neil’s first concert back leading the Band will be on the 11th September at the Middleton Hall, University of Hull. This concert to celebrate the Band’s 21st Anniversary will feature guest soloist David Childs, and will be conducted by John Roberts & Jim Davies. Further details of the concert may be found on the Band's website.