New Cornetter here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by WigglePig, Oct 12, 2016.

1. WigglePig

WigglePig New Member

Evening All.

Having played strings (and electric at that!) for more years than I care to remember, I was encouraged to take up a horn of some sort. As my son plays the trumpet I opted for cornet as I prefer the mellower sound.
    For a period of a few months last year I took some lessons but work got in the way; I am getting set to start up again.

What tips can people give about practice time, exercises, etc?

Tra!

Jason

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Evening All.
    Tra!Jason
    Cornetter
    Having
    exercises
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to tMP Jason, and I hope you enjoy sharing with us.

As I'm predominantly a tuba player I shall leave the detailed advice to others, but long notes and hymn tune playing will always help, whatever the instrument.

4. Agreeing with Peter. Save the trechnical stuff till your lip is responsive.

5. GordonH

GordonH Member

Long notes, lip slurring, just generally playing for increasingly longer periods. Then playing softly in the mid register, which seems to strengthen everything. As one of my teachers said "playing loudly is just playing softly but more so".

6. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Hi, Jason

with regards to practising, may I pass on a tip from an old friend who plays bass trombone? Pete leaves his instrument, seat, music stand and music permanently set up in his living room, so that any time he has even a few minutes to spare, he just sits down and "has a tootle"!

This is not to say you don't need to go in for longer practise sessions, to build up your stamina to the point where you can cope with playing a concert length programme, nor does it negate the need for concentrated practise on the more twiddly bits which are expected of (inflicted on? :rolleyes:) cornet players, but as Mesmerist says elsewhere, remember why you started playing in the first place - for enjoyment! And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As Pete says to me, if you 'have a tootle' whilst you're waiting for the kettle to boil, or your dinner to cook, or for the washing machine to finish its cycle, or your favourite TV programme to come on - ten minutes here, five minutes there; over the course of a week, it adds up to a lot of playing time - yet it doesn't feel like work.

HTH and best regards,

Jack