New cornet, which to road test??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Spaniels Ears, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

Having spent many a happy year with my trusted XXL bore Courtois, Ive decided to get a new instrument. Really need some assistance and advice as to which cornets to try as it will be hard pressed to fill the boots of my French beauty!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    XXL
    French
    Courtois
    Ive
    trusted XXL
  3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Get along to your nearest shop and try everything they can throw at you! Everyone is different, and what's good for one might be completely wrong for someone else.

That said, make sure you try a Xeno. IMHO, you won't find anything better ;)

4. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I can highly recommend the new Besson Prestiges, lovely instrument in all areas.

5. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

My issue with the prestige is that it has no first valve trigger!

Hi Wayne, I live in Sindlesham so near you! Any shops you recommend?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I know I'm not Wayne, but....
    You're fairly close to Rosehill (Beaconsfield) and Phil Parker (London). Both shops have a good stock and friendly staff so either would be well worth at least a phone call. Trade stands at contests are always a good bet too.

7. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

But as the trigger is connected to the main tuning slide it means the note is flattened anyway, so in effect it's doing the same job no? Which makes me wonder why they have a 3rd valve trigger, when you can use the one on the main tuning slide instead?

8. John_D

John_D Member

Prestige - tried a couple and not keen. Much prefer an old sovereign.

Xeno - tried one and din't like it as much as a Maestro (I know a few people who agree about this). Strange as I love my Xeno sop.

Very happy with the York that I'm playing at present.

9. One of my friends chose a Wilson cornet over all the yamaha/besson/york ones. have to admit it sounds amazing! worth a look maybe? :)

10. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

I have a prestige and choose it after playing as many different cornets as I could. I found it to be very different to the other models around which suited my playing but I can see that it will not suit everybody. So I agree with the advice already given - try as many as you can before deciding.

In addition to the models listed above it is worth trying out the Smith-Watkins and the Eclipse cornets (and Wilson as mentioned above). You should also try out some models that are no longer in production if you can such as the old soverign (Besson and B&H roundstamp) and York.

I found at the top end of the cornet market I would have been happy playing any of these and the choice between models came down to quite minor differences.

11. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

Smith Watkins :clap:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    XXL
    French
    Courtois
    Ive
    trusted XXL
  13. try a smith watkins. Burry Port has a full set and their sound is Lush!

14. Spaniels Ears

Spaniels Ears Member

No one has mentioned Geneva, any good?

15. Claire Bourne at St Athan has one and she regards it highly. Give her a buzz through their website to ask her maybe.

16. speedy

speedy New Member

Geneva very good one of the best

17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It's taken 7 years to make a post???

18. lianda98

lianda98 New Member

i bought a xeno in silverplate, having previously played a sovereign. The older maestros were nice, but i have no complaints at all with the xeno - great lower register, and it's not too laser-like in the upper register. I looked at the prestige, but preferred the yamaha. have fun choosing!! :)

19. DRW

DRW New Member

Great way to encourage people to post???

20. GordonH

GordonH Member

Just remember in contests more points are awarded for accuracy than tonal quality. Choose an instrument that helps you play accurately and consistently while allowing you to survive a full rehearsal. Its too easy to pick an instrument and mouthpiece that would sound great in a solo, but cant see you through a rehearsal or a test piece.

21. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

22. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well it worked for you.;)