New Christmas Praise - quintet?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by trumpetmike, Nov 11, 2009.

1. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I am having a moment of madness (and senility) - if using the New Christmas Praise books with a quintet, which are the "best" 5 parts to use?

The person who owns the set I usually use has left the area and I am having a mental block as to which books I need to acquire ready for the onslaught of carolling.

It is a standard orchestral brass quintet setup of 2 trumpets, horn, trombone and tuba(but our horn player can transpose, our trombone player reads any clef needed and our tuba player is happy in treble clef Eb - so we are fine with either the brass band or orchestral sets)

Many thanks for any help given
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

1st cornet (or solo cornet, forgot how it's marked) and 2nd cornet, 2nd horn, euph (if trom is happy playing silly writing, otherwise they would play a bari or trom part and have lots of overlaps and/or rests (its written in 4 parts with euph decoration) and Eb bass.
  3. Big Shiny Brass

Big Shiny Brass New Member

4. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Shameless plug alert! ....

Actually the CP books ( the newer red ones ) are OK as theres some good "popular" tunes in there rather than just the usual stuff.

I belive you can also get a French Horn book too!
  5. Active Member

Thanks Aidan, that's what I would have suggested too.
    If the French Horn player doesn't want to play from an Eb book, then he/she can use Tenor F instead;
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

You can also get a "C" bass (bass clef) book, as well.

What I have also done in similar circumstances in the past, is to have both trumpets play the Solo/1st book (Melody), French horn on Solo/1st Horn (Alto - I presume you can also get an Alto 'F' book ... ), trombone plays the Baritone book (Tenor), and Tuba on the bass line. To be fair, it doesn't sound as balanced as when Aidan's suggestion is used, but if there's a lot of playing to be done it's a good lip-saver for the trumpets ...
  7. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

With "Something Else" we tend to use the Melody Bb, Alto Bb, Tenor F, Tenor Bb and Bass C books. We did try using the Euph book instead of Tenor Bb, but found that left the Tenor line quite weak. For next year, I may well rejig the Mellophone player onto the Alto F book as the 2nd Trumpet tends to do descants on a lot of carols! :-D
    (Instrumentation: 2 Bb Trumpets, Mellophone in F, Bb Marching Baritone and Eb Tuba)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  8. Active Member

Another great suggestion, Gareth.
    There is indeed an Alto F book available.
    Having both trumpets playing from the Solo/1st book may also give the option of one of them playing the tune in octaves on a picc from time to time, a la Canadian Brass and Fine Arts!