New christmas praise/philip sparke carols

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bobbyp, Dec 9, 2011.

1. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Sorry if this is already been discussed, but in venture through the search options the closest i got was "theyre listed in the front cover" which wasnt entirely helpful!

Anyway! Were looking at buying a set of four of these books for tuba trombone and two trumpet players - which books would make sure we could cover all four satb parts?

Also the same question would apply for the Philip Sparke arrangements if anyone knows? I was looking at these as theyre much cheaper although having less material.

Any thoughts?
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

SA Books:

Trumpets: Solo/1st Cornet Bb + 2nd Cornet
    Trombone: Depends - Baritone Bb if treble clef reader, Tenor C if a bass clef reader
    Tuba: Depends - Bass Eb or Bb if a treble clef reader, Bass C if a bass clef reader.

Philip Sparke books:

No idea ...
  3. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. stopher

stopher Member

The Sparke books are useful as they can be mixed with a wind band and orchestra (books done for them) plus full score/organ book but think there are only 40 carols in.

Personally, prefer the red Christmas praise ones as you have the traditionals plus a few popular ones and you can get parts in c but have not found a score. Also the Soarke books seem to have a lot more sharps for the brass but the arrangements are good
  5. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

There is a (sort of!) score for the New Christmas Praise books, although it is more of a piano/short score. They (there are two books) consist of either a piano version or an SATB arrangement of the carol or tune, with words as appropriate. I don't have a copy to hand, but I believe that numbers 1 to 90-something are in one book (with a red cover) and the rest are in the other book (with a green cover).

Hope this helps,