New CDs -- where are they?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DocFox, Sep 4, 2009.

1. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

As many of you know, I have an internet radio station that plays all brass band music.

That being said, I usually buy 2 to 5 CDs a month. But wow, lately it seems there are no new CDs. Midland CD (www.ukcd.net) "new" releases are from as far back as the 1980s! Re-releases of CDs, albeit good ones.

Where are the new CDs? Are bands no longer selling them through distributors like World of Brass, Midland, and 4 Bars Rest? I would not mind buying a 1989 CD if it was good, but not for £14!

Do you have to visit each band's website to see the new CDs?

And one last question .. anyone have any suggestions for CDs for the station?

Jim (The BagMan)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    CDs
    Jim
    New CDs
    releases of CDs
    brass band music
  3. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Our new releases are often scheduled around major brass band events, like the Regionals, European Brass Band Championships, British Open, National Championships and Brass in Concert.

Therefore at the British Open on 12th September we will have for the first time; European Brass Band Championships 2009 CD and DVD, Rococo Variations (Fodens Band) and Essential Dyke Volume IX (Black Dyke Band).

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Fodens? Or did you mean Steven Mead? Or are there two CDs of the same name being released at almost the same time?

5. WorldofBrass.com

Yes, I'm afraid so!

6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Hm, that could be confusing to a stupid person, as Peter Cook once said.

In response to the original poster's question, I like the look of the new Scherzo Brass (quartet) CD - it includes the Wilfred Heaton quartet that was uncovered a couple of years ago. Sounds quite exciting.

7. WorldofBrass.com

Variations on a Ninth (Gilbert Vinter) conducted by Garry Cutt
    In Memoriam RK (Elgar Howarth) conducted by Garry Cutt
    Paganini Variations (Philip Wilby) conducted by Bramwell Tovey
    Rococo Variations (Edward Gregson) conducted by Garry Cutt

8. timps

timps Member

Do you have the track listing for Essential Dyke IV?

9. WorldofBrass.com

I take it that you mean IX (nine) and not IV (four)?

10. timps

timps Member

Yes sorry my mistake, IX.

11. WorldofBrass.com

Thnak you, just buying myself a little bit of time as I'm doing some work on Dyke's October release at the moment.

Here's the track list for Essential Dyke IX;

The Australasian (William Riimer)
    Willow Echoes (Frank Simon)
    Cats Tales (Peter Graham)
    Fantastic Polka (Arthur Pryor arr. Keith Wilkinson)
    The Lady is a Tramp (Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart arr. Sandy Smith)
    That's Amore (Harry Warren arr. Sandy Smith)
    Luck be a Lady (Frank Loesser arr. Sandy Smith)
    Autumn Leaves (Joseph Cosma arr. Bill Geldard)
    Swinging Matilda (Philip Wilby)
    Theme and Variations (Rossini arr. Brennan)
    Immortal (Paul Lovatt-Cooper)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    CDs
    Jim
    New CDs
    releases of CDs
    brass band music
  13. timps

timps Member

Thank you, what is coming out in October?

14. WorldofBrass.com

The title track is Within Blue Empires and it will also include Concertino for Brass Band (Kenneth Downie).

15. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Ooooo, straight to the top of my 'I want it NOW' list! :tup

16. Kjata

Kjata Member

Defo, I always buy the essential Dyke as soon as it comes out! :)

17. Kjata

Kjata Member

When does essential Dyke 9 come out to 4barsrest? For those of us who are unlucky enough to agreed to help out a band on the 12th!! :(

18. brownrob

brownrob Member

Looking forward to seeing IX on World of Brass Tunes!

19. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Ladies and Gents,

On the radio station, two types of songs (tunes) get voted off FAST. Solo stuff. Steven Mead was in the US and I got to hear him in person. It was GREAT. He had 3 CDs for sale, I bought all 3 and he was gracious enough to sign all three.

I put them up on the station, and BAM, voted off. Most solo tracks are. The other is test pieces. No one wants to hear them AGAIN on the radio.

With all due respect to Carl and WOB, it does seem there is a lull. Lots of re-issued stuff. Again, good stuff, I just will not pay £14 for a 1989 recording. The US dollar is trading just above half of the Pound Sterling -- plus P&P for me in the US. I pay about $30 a CD. When conditions are right, the Pound, Euro and Dollar trade about equal.

So would you play for a CD at £30? That is what I do 2 or 3 times a month. I wish some of these re-releases where £5. I appreciate WOBtunes -- I do not have to spend as much and no P&P

Jim the Bagman

20. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I jus got a couple of CD's from Brisnabe Excelsior in Brisbane at a concert at the door, havn't seen listed any where else and had some different tracks to, a few old favourites but some new.
    would be able to get from web site
    http://www.ausbrass.com/
    hope that was helpful

21. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Thanks. I think that is becoming a trend. Bands sell their own CDs except the top 30 or so. The problem for me, is in the US, I cannot just go to a concert (I would love to). I go to NABBA every year.

You can visit HUNDREDS of websites looking for CDs. I like to put new stuff up because I think it helps promote the music and the bands. It is getting harder. Salvation Army stuff is easy (thank goodness) because WOB carries a lot and there is a distributor in the US.

I currently have about 550 tracks on the station. I should remove about 25 old ones that have been voted down. But I need something to replace them with. I appreciate the suggestion - all suggestions.

Jim "The BagMan"

22. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Have you thought about putting up charts from some of the Drum & Bugle Corps or all brass marching bands like Ohio State (I know they just released a new CD)...surely some of those tunes would fit into the non-test-piece/non-solo selections and might showcase some of the fine brass playing in the US?