Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by Straightmute, May 6, 2003.

1. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I got my copy on Saturday at the Grand Shield and finally got around to listening today. This playing blew me away - it's the best band CD I've heard for some time and the effect of 70 minutes of concentrated Bourgeois is almost overpowering. The new work Apocalypse doesn't seem to say very much new, but does have some wonderful moments - and some fantastic flugel playing.

Highly recommended - the best 12.95 I've spent in ages.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I would endorse Straightmute's recommendation of this cd - I've listened to it each day since it arrived, and I'm still picking up something new each time.

Personally, I've got just one reservation, and that concerns the Concerto Grosso: I don't know whether it is the piece in particular, or whether it is a natural spin-off from a recording under studio conditions rather than a live concert performance, but the playing seems a little bit detached - a little too calculated. It is a piece that has always bowled me over in performance, and each of the (live) recordings I have brings some real excitement to it, but for me it seems not quite to take off - technically excellent, but maybe lacking that final something.
  3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Ok, sorry. I'd like to admit to the first moderator cockup.

In attempting to duplicate portions of this thread in the User Reviews section, I have unwittingly moved the whole thread there, and deleted the some of the posts relating to it - namely the advertisement from relating to availability of this CD

Many apologies for this - I shall do my utmost to retrieve them..

The original advertisement is here:
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

he he..... :roll: :wink: ... glad it wasn't me... :lol:
  5. Active Member

Bourgeios in Brass

Peter, you are probably aware that there are a number of 'live' recordings of Concerto Grosso available from ourselves ; Eikanger (Euro 2000 & Norway 2001) YBS (Euro 2002) and Grimethorpe (Festival of Brass '91).
    I recently listened to the recording of Stavanger Brass Band (conducted by David King) at this years Norwegian Championships, which was the winning 'own choice' and they did real justice to it.
  6. Mr Smiler

Mr Smiler Member

I heard this CD recently too and it is quite awesome. I just wondered though if the rendition of "Blitz" was slightly on the safe side, still remarkably controlled but not "edge of yer seat" stuff?
  7. blondie

blondie Member

I bought and paid for this CD a week before Roger announced this monts quiz, damn!!! (Now thats confidence for you). I principally bought it for the rendition of Blitz, and I've just discovered 3 more outstanding works. I will go as far as saying that Apocolypse is one of the best works for BB that I have ever heard, I'm so enthusiastic about it that I'm actually in the process of wearing the CD out!! :wink:
  8. Active Member

Bourgeois in Brass

You might want to hear the first, live, performance of Apocalypse at the European Championships 2003 Gala Concert!
    This is on the Highlights CD;
  9. Highams

Highams Member

I played Concerto Grosso in manuscript with Sun Life Stanshawe and Derek conducting. We recorded it in the Great Hall of Bristol Univ. on February 11th. 1981 for the first radio 3 Bandstand broadcast.

Kevin Robins was on principal cornet, Roy Jennings, flugel, Dave Williams, solo horn, me on solo euph and Derek Horsfall on E flat bass.
  10. Active Member

Bourgeois in Brass

News reaches us that this outstanding CD has been awarded
    Australia's Band World CD of the Year.
    Congratulations to David King, YBS and the production team.
    Here's the link if you haven't got your copy yet;
  11. Active Member

Bourgeois in Brass

This CD has also scooped the award of CD of the Year from
    Brass Band World magazine.
    Another set of congratulations to all concerned!
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I've yet to purchase this (but will on the strength of the many great reviews it has had), but it's even on one classical music website contributor's top 5 recordings of the year. And it isn't often that brass band recordings make it onto this site at all.
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

It's a must-have Dave - definitely my best band CD of 2003.
  14. Active Member

Bourgeios in Brass

To add to the list of awards that this CD has already picked up is the
    4BR Band CD of the Year announced earlier today.
    The CD received 24% of the votes cast in this category.

YBS also collected the 4BR Band of the Year title and conductor David King carried off the 4BR Conductor of the Year prize.

Sensational effort!