New Buds at Flowers

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by timps, May 12, 2011.

1. timps

timps Member

With the Grand Shield only days away, Flowers Band have made two important signings in their attempt to secure their place at the British Open Championships.

Flowers Band had to say goodbye to Phil Green at the area, due to family and increasing work commitments. The band thought it would be hard task to find someone to fill Phil’s shoes, but in the shape of Andy Johnson who signs from Desford, we have found a player with immense power and precision.

Along with Andy, we welcome John Baker who played principal trombone for Yeovil Band until recently and makes the long journey from Taunton to Gloucester for every rehearsal.

It is with sadness that for the Grand Shield we have lost our star Flugel player Tim Malpas. Tim’s wife’s mother passed away sadly and unexpectedly last week and such is the loss that on this occasion banding had to take second place. Our thoughts and prayers are with Tim and his family at this time.

We are fortunate that Glen Philp, principal cornet of Abergavenny Band has agreed to play Flugel for us at the Shield.

2. JonnyShaw

JonnyShaw Member

Great to see you all again on Saturday, the band is sounding really well!

Good luck for the National Finals, I'll be donning my Flowers tie in support!

You know where I am when you are short of a player but you should seriously consider relocating the band to Manchester!