New Baritone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pdj, Jan 24, 2008.

1. pdj

pdj Member

Hi All

Our band has just aquired a new York BSP Baritone for me and as i have never owned a new barking iron i wondered other than constant playing is there any other ways to help break it in? Any help appreciated as Areas are looming ever closer!!.

2. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ive had 3 new Baritones and i just play them as normal with normal dynamic markings that are marked;
    Looking forward to the new Buffet 4 Valve coming out
    In other words
    GIVE IT SOME STICK!!!!!!!!!!;)
    Thats if your MD will let you:confused:
  3. When I got my new Virtuosi Baritone (which is superb by the way) my MD Malcolm Simpson MBE (legend lol) told me to fill it up with milk, yes milk. I didn't do this because I thought I might get a few funny looks coming out of Asda with 2 trolly's full of milk!! Apparantly it's supposed to mature and thicken your sound so if you go to Asda now you might be okay for the Areas hehe.
  4. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Milk? Why not beer?

Dealers go through this all the time. It comes down to simple facts. What gets dirty and what moves.

First, the valves move the most. Every time you play a new instrument, oil the valves -- even if you don't think they need it. Use a synthetic oil made for today's modern valve coatings. This keeps the valves from rubbing too much so they break in and it "washes" down any crud. Oil the valves at the end of any playing or practice session before you put the instrument back in the case. Also if you play for a long period, oil them every hour.

Second, the tuning slides. Grease them, pull them back and forth, wipe them off, and grease them again. At least once a week.

Third, clean the horn. Using a valve brush, a snake, but the bari in a lukewarm bath (NEVER HOT). Clean the leadpipe area, the valve casings and all the parts you can reach. Use a lint free cloth to wipe down the valves and slides. A soft towel will work for the rest of the horn. Do this once a week for the first 4 to 6 weeks.

Lastly, buy some Spitballs by Herco (available at most music stores). Blow one through your instrument after each time you play it for the first month. Blow it through 3 or 4 times with all the valves down. The last time coat the Spitball with valve oil and blow it through again. This coats the leadpipe with oil and helps eliminate gunk buildup and later on, red rot.

Do not drink a sugared drink (like a Coke) before playing.

Do that and in 4 to 6 weeks you can clean the instrument once every 3 to 6 months and be fine. Don't, and you may have troubles with the valves, slides, or leadpipe.

Simple -- but most people find it too much work and then have the instrument at the repair shop thinking they bought a "dud".

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

What's the York like?
  6. ...and then fill it up with milk???:D
  7. pdj

pdj Member

Thanks for all the useful suggestions so far!. As what the York baritone is like well its a 3 valve one and the second new York i have had in 3 months. App the 1st one i had there was some problems with a certain batch of them regarding the valves. In my case the 1st Valve. Hopefully this second baritone will be fine, just have to wait and see.

I did find the York baritones better that the Sov to blow through.
  8. Maybe but I think the difference in quality is outstanding. My Virtuosi Baritone is brill and I love it but I can tell its not a sov!! You cant beat a good old soveriegn!! (my personal view anyway)

Good luck with the York
  9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ive only ever played on Soveriegn's and love them to bits looking forward to the New 4 Valve thats is coming out by that french outfit who have taken over;by all accounts from what ive heard talking to a trader last weekend at Butlins its something again;
    So bring it on!!!!!:clap:
  10. pdj

pdj Member

Hey Jack forgot to say Malcolm used to take our band a few years ago!!! Hows he doing?
  11. Oh did he? wow!! Well actually he's thinking of packing it all in because his hearing isn't too good but we're trying to get him to stay, fingers crossed!!

Hes only just got himself back on track recently because i'm not sure if u know but his wife and son passed away last year. He should keep going though because to say he's half deaf he still knows what he wants and he keeps getting it, we all think he'll miss it too much if he gives up all together.
  12. David Mann

David Mann Member

Skimmed, semi-skimmed or gold top??:-?
  13. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

What is all this about milk?

14. I don't know, what colour top does the Netto ownbrand have? is it pink??:biggrin:
  15. Loving it Doc!! Is he blowing or supping (I bet you've never been asked that one before) :biggrin:
  16. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I amazed the resident "alcoholic" has to ask that question!!!!

Dr. Jim
  17. Ah too-shay sir!! (okay so I can't spell too shay so what) :D

Isn't there the same picture but with milk?? that would look good
  18. dyl

dyl Active Member

In another thread maybe. Back to discussing new baritones please.................

Edit: 'Jack the Baritone King' - that means you too - I've deleted your latest off-topic post: please read our Rules & Guidelines, here:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  19. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

EOL -- (See Except from the Movie "Tron" by Disney)

This whole thread has had one response to the real question -- mine, BTW. Frankly Dylan, every post but mine should be deleted according the police rules. Are tangents on or off topic. In Geometry, they are part of the "system". In logic, the support a position.

EOL - End of Line. Thread Over. Move On. Sponsors love threads that end -- HA! I will try to keep this one going.

One of the problem with the York Valves supposedly being bad (I am a York dealer) is that the are made in Germany to very close tolerances and people would not break them in.

Instead now, the tolerances will not be as close and in 20 years the valves will have to be rebuilt and lapped again. York is made in German, with the help of a bunch of Besson engineers. The new Besson line is made in Germany by JA Musik, with the mandrels and such bought by the French when they bought what was left of Besson.

So which is closer to the "old Besson?" Who knows? I sell both lines. But the importance of doing the work to break in a new instrument cannot be understated. I made a bit of fun about the milk idea because, it was silly.

Do your work, break your new instrument in right or you will have it at the repair shop. Whoever sold it to you should have given you approximately the instructions I gave above on how to do it. Be lazy, and well, your investment of several thousand pounds is in jeopardy.

As a dealer, any demo horn I have I break in just as I suggested above. If the dealer is responsible, demo horns are broken in and a great value. But even most dealers oil the valves and put the horn on display or in the case until it is sold.

I have had other dealers sell me new instruments, and when they arrived the valves were bone dry and took some TLC to carefully remove them and oil them again.

Bottom line. Do not, Do not be lazy. Break your horn in. A trombone the slide needs to be rammed every time you play it for at least two months if you want a "slide like butter". But few take the time.

You want slides and valves like butter, DO THE WORK.

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Sounds like good advice. I recently had my cornet overhauled and actually had to break it in again for about 2-3 weeks before it was right; this entailed regular washing in mild soapy water, stripping the valves down, cleaning them and re-oiling them, oiling the 1st and 3rd valve slides (so the triggers work efficiently) and greasing the tuning and 2nd valve slide.

If you do nothing else, clean the valves every time you use the instrument; there always seems to be some sort of protective coating on the valves on new/refurbed instruments which emulsifies with water (a bit like when your head gasket blows in a car) to make a kind of sticky gunk. About 2-3 weeks of regular cleaning seems to shift it completely.

For god's sake don't put milk in it, it'll stink. Someone once spilt a whole pint of milk into the vent system of a car my dad had and the smell of rancid milk never went away.:eek: