'new band' at Blackburn & Darwen announce name

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sopranoplayer, May 3, 2007.

1. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

Darwen Brass is the name chosen for the newly formed band within the Blackburn and Darwen Band organisation.

The organisation now has three bands which include the Junior band, Senior band and now the middle band Darwen Brass.

The new band, formed on January 1st 2007 has gone from strength to strength since then, welcoming players from their junior band and some fresh faces to the ranks along with players from the old B-band to form an almost full band.

Last month after weeks of auditions they appointed Steve Hartley as their musical director.

Steve has played in Brass Bands for 30 years and has been conducting since 1983. He attended Salford College in the early 80`s studying conducting under Roy Newsome and composition under Goff Richards culminating in a Graduate Diploma in Band Musicianship. Prior to this he played with the Rochdale band and also bands in the North Wales area including Point of Ayr and City of Chester.
    Since leaving Salford Steve has conducted many bands including Todmorden Old and more recently Poulton Le Fylde, Blackpool Brass and Thornton Cleveleys Bands.

Speaking to Steve following his appointment he said:

“I am delighted to have been appointed Musical Director to the new band. When I auditioned for the position some weeks ago there was a definite feeling of excitement and a real buzz about the place. I have conducted various bands over the years, but this is the first time I have been involved at the beginning of a bands musical life. I am looking forward immensely to working with the band, and to a happy and successful association.”

Mandy Pickles chairperson of the senior band said “we have realised for some time that brass players are becoming increasing hard to find so we are working hard to nurture players who come through our flourishing Junior band and provide them with a stepping stone to take them to a standard required for the senior band. We are very proud to have 3 bands that can accommodate every standard of playing and welcome anyone who wishes to take up a very rewarding and enjoyable hobby”.

If there is anyone out there wishing to start playing with any of the 3 bands or wish to book the bands for engagements please contact:

Blackburn & Senior Band - Chairperson: - Mandy Pickles 01282 842992
    Secretary: - Tariq Ahmed 01254 701031

Darwen Brass: Secretary: - Ruth McIver 01254 774204
    Bandmaster: - Dominic McIver 01254 774204

Junior Band: Secretary: - Ann Robinson 01254 706264 daytime
    Alan Thomas: - 01254 692559 eves
  2. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

May I also add that I have been elected as "Press Officer" for the new Darwen Brass. I will be posting news as and when it comes from now on, plus any news items you think relevant please send them to me via PM.
  3. tweetipie21

tweetipie21 Member

well done cornet nev!!!!